how to make more by charging $10 per lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chop Stuff Up, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

Townhomes... I'm talkin about the ones with the really small yards. Most don't even have a front lawn, they just have rocks or mulch. And most of these customers don't care what it looks like, just so it gets cut. 10 bucks for middle lots and 15 for end lots. Pass the flyers out with price quote and a given day of service with weekly or bi-weekly. The trick is to make them all aware that you are there every week, same day, and its only 10 bucks. Make contact with each neighbor. You'll be making $100+/hr in no time with your 21" mower.

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Whats it take (time and money) to mail out 10 invoices and track their payments too? Good Idea though. Wish I could use it. Nothing under 8,000 sqft around me

3. Chop Stuff Up

Just leave the invoice on the door the last cut of each month. 14 days late means no more cuts until you receive payment. We have a lot of townhomes like this around here and no other LCO seems to target them at all. I can get pics of the area if interested. Many customers will pay ahead several months since its so cheap. A lot of the customers walk outside and hand you the cash, that gets confusing sometimes with so many small lawns in one area. I have forgotten to credit a $40 payment more than once because I forget who handed me what amount that day. These lots are literally 4-6 passes with the 21 with a quick trim.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sure, you'll make $100 / hour while the machine runs, but don't forget loading / unloading and driving between customer's houses as you will likely not get most of them side by side. You'll spend literally as much time switching / shutting down / starting equipment as you will working (which doubles your labor rate), and as much time again driving (so now we're down to $100 / 3 = $33.33 pmh).

Meanwhile, your machines won't even get a chance to warm up, which is as detrimental to the engine as taking short trips in a car.

Much like other Lco's, I don't drop my gate for less than $30.
    It's just not worth it.

But there are some who have carved out their niche doing exactly that.
    You might see if you can find out how they do it, afaik most of them have a slew of 20-30 side by side and it's more of a community association contract, but I'm not 100% sure.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I know of a company in NJ that works in a condo/townhome area with the same kind of small in-out properties. They do each lawn for $7.50/pop. They even bag since they're on a 10-day cycle. They have a dedicated dual axle dumptruck for grass clippings. They run walkers and lots of h2b guys. I believe they said they had 2500 lawns they do. That's about half a $million in revenue per year.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know where the philosophy comes in that people with 5000 sq. ft. lawns don't really care how their lawn looks. THESE are the people that are overlooking every square inch of their props. Also, when you start getng into the people coming out and paying cash, paying weekly, bi-weekly, and some monthly,....you have a jumbled mess - all condensed on one convenient street. Mr. Jones jumps out and pays you cash. Mr. Johnson says he'll pay you next week. Mr. Smith says bill him at the end of the month. Mr. Green USUALLY pays every week, but he isn't home this week. Mr. White only had a 20 last week, and you didn't have change. So, THIS week, he has a credit. Now, sit in your truck, and write up bills and receipts for all these people, and keep the straight every week.
    The point is,...if you're going to do it...do it straight across the board - just bil them monthly. Don't do the check under the doormat/in the grill thing. Save that for the kid down the street that does lawns.

7. Chop Stuff Up

Gate only drops once. This is a neighborhood with almost 200 townhomes side by side on 5 streets.

8. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

It may work for you but keepping the billing straight is going to be your headache once you get that all worked out it should fly pretty well

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

thats great if you get all 200 , what if you get two on each treet.... and that means the truck moves....

Great Idea. but you really need to get a bunch of town houses in each location close together to make it work. and you need to do monthly billing so you don't have the payment issues like others spoke of....

10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

For that volume pricing I would require it all upfront. whats a cutting season in DE? 32 weeks? $320 is pocket change.