How to make new pine needles look "groomed"?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by vencops, Feb 28, 2011.

1. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I installed some pine needles at a property, yesterday. Wait....

**Disclaimer...I am NOT a professional!

OK...I got 'em in there nice and thick (good coverage). But, it still looked "not as good" as what I've seen photos of, here (been lurking). This is "a" part of my business (lawn care....minor landscaping). I'd just like to do whatever I do - RIGHT. Is there a trick?

Thanks.

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Best way is to not use them, they look horrible no matter what you do.

3. vencops

from NC

Trust me....

If you were in my shoes, you'd use them, too.

4. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

On the rare occasion we lay pinestraw, I run over it with a soft plastic rake, upside down. Also, it helps to wet them down either with a hose or irrigation before you run over them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. vencops

from NC

We got a heckuva rain storm here, today. I'm gonna ride by and look, tomorrow....just to see what they look like. They were really "full" looking when I left.

Putting water on them (unless I bring the water....or it's raining!), isn't an option. I wish it was.

6. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

Try the rake method. It takes some practice but it helps lay them down
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. twobroslawns

twobroslawns LawnSite Senior Member

It's kind of hard to explain...

While laying the straw, go about one foot past where you want the edge to be. Once you have gone all the way around whatever, get your blower and "roll" the pinestraw into itself by lightly blowing at the ground, under the straw. with our handheld blower, I just feather the throttle, quickly from idle to max to idle to max.... With the BR600, i just squeeze it a little bit and that is enough power... You really need to get the feel for it.

Check out our photo album https://picasaweb.google.com/twobroslawn
    Click on pinestraw
    You can see many of our pinestraw jobs

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  8. twobroslawns

twobroslawns LawnSite Senior Member

:)Also, sometimes it can add to effect if you edge with a weedeater on it's side (NOT AN EDGER) that helps to make a line along the edge...

Lets see some pics..:)

9. vencops

from NC

I like the trimmer idea.

I'll try to post a pic. Never done it.

[​IMG]

10. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Vencops,
    I have only done a few jobs back when I lived in Mississippi. This was the normal thing around all of those pine forests.
    Those folks wanted them raked up and installed straight off the lawn.
    I walked on the fluffed needles after installation and even watered them in walking backwards and forewards. When they are fluffed that badly, it will take a couple of weeks of intense rains to settle them out.
    I can honestly tell you that pine needles is the least desirable ground covering I ever did.
    If still do areas around Azaleas here............after collecting them from the GHS system of the Walker mower. Those pieces are 1 inch or less in length and will spread easily. Takes more per square yard but is harder to scatter. The blower will take some burden off. A blower will pack them down if you get the hang of using a circular motion and not the under tow blow. These things do roll under and become a mess.