How to make our website googleable...

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Precision Lawns, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Right now the only way a customer will find our website is if they already know the address (which is on our trucks, flyers, and business cards). But they can't google or yahoo search it, even if they search for our company name and area specifically. I just re-submitted our site to both search engines (which I also did last year), and I don't want to pay to be searchable. Is there anything else I can do for free to make our website come up quicker on a search engine, or do I just need to sit back and hope someday Google and Yahoo add it in? And how does a website get listed near the top, once it is searchable?

2. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

Did you include meta tags in your html? Search engines use a "spider" to scan the code for the meta tags and then use the keywords found in the searches. If you don't have any meta tags the spiders aren't going to find the information.

What's your website address and I'll look at your code to see if any tags are in it.

Nevermind. I saw it in your sig. Your default page doesn't have any tags or information that could be "googleable"... Actually none of your pages do. Did you design this site yourself or did someone build it for you? If you built it yourself open the editor you used, and after the <html><head> tags insert the following. Make sure you fill in the information on in the bold areas.

3. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I understand it takes time for it to start to get listed. The other thing is the meta tags. You need to fill them in, if you haven't already. My website is hosted on yahoo...so after a few days it was already listed on yahoo. I am hoping the other companies will follow suit.

4. LawnScenes

That didn't work. lol. Send me an email to stephen_in_va@yahoo.com or pm me on yahoo and I'll give you the code to include to get the search spiders to pick up on it.

5. LawnScenes

< meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" >
    < title >Precision Lawns< /title >
    < meta name="keywords" content="your keywords here (separated by a comma)" >
    < meta name="description" content="your description here" >

There... That worked. Just remove the spaces between the < and > symbols. Add your info to the bold areas, then add the code to your default page (default page is usually index.htm/html, default.htm/html, or main.htm/html).

6. LawnScenes

Forgot this in the other posts. Insert that code after the < html > and < head > tags.

7. Precision Lawns

LawnScenes - Thanks a lot for the code. We didn't build the site, but I'll let the guy who maintains it know ASAP and hopefully we will be searchable soon!

8. LawnScenes

no problem.

9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

10. Precision Lawns

mvvaden - wow, that's a lot of good advice. Looks like I've got some re-writing to do!