How to make stripes?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by tnedator, Aug 15, 2003.

1. tnedator

tnedator LawnSite Member

I have an El Toro lawn and a rear engine mower. Is there anyway that I can stripe my lawn, such as pulling a roller or something?

I get small stripes from the wheel tracks, but would love to be able to get full width stripes.

Thanks

Billy

2. simplicityjeff

simplicityjeff LawnSite Member

I had an old murray rider and I attached a conveyor roller to the deck and it striped really well. Do a search on this site and you'll see how some of the commercial guy did it. I had to drill 4 holes in my cutting deck so my solution may not work for everyone. Good luck.

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

4. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

All the good stripes you see are painted on the lawn, better call a proffesional.:p

5. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Painted????? what do you mean?????

6. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

just kidding

7. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

Here are my stripes, done with a roller attached to my JD 325. Cut @ 3" even better when cut @ 4" (did not take pic yet).
    Norm

fallstripes.jpg

8. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

Try using high lift blades. Put a roller between the wheels. Cut first pattern for 2 weeks, cut second pattern 1 week then alternate patterns each week. Pitch your mower deck so that front is 1/4" lower than the back. You can use a lawn roller if yo want. Hope this helps.
    Norm

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Lazer with a roller.
    John

797reas.jpg

10. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, we use different color paints to make those stripes. Light green and dark green. see, now you dont have to fertilize either!