how to make topsoil?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by "Ground Control", Jan 7, 2008.

1. "Ground Control"

"Ground Control" LawnSite Member

I posted this in the nursery and supply yard forum too....but that forum is dead so I thought id post it here....

I am looking into starting a landscape supply center and I don't really know where to get topsoil or if I can screen it myself. Can I get excavation companies to dump their excavated dirt from foundations on my property and then can I screen it? What all is in topsoil....is compost mixed in with it? Thanks for any info....

2. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

around here topsoil is at a premium. there is no extra. topsoil cost money.

3. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I just paid an excavating company $180 for 10yds delivered, and it had no visible rocks and very few roots.

4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

around here this is the recipie

Field grade topsoil screened leaf compost and sand and ppl poop

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

If you just starting with this I would suggest that you find a good composter in your area to deliver in bulk. They can normally make a good mix from the compost that they make.

Call your local extention agent, they normally know whos got topsoil or who can make and deliver it. It is a lot of work and big bucks for the equipment for screening soil and compost

6. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

i would get in touch with septic company and get the licence to use their solids

7. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

You can use people poo in soil? Im guessing for fert? i was always told that its not like using manure ( horse/cow) and in some cases it can harm plants. But i could be wrong.

Josh

8. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Im curious as to how this would work as well. Never heard of human waste being used to make topsoil. What wasthe deal with the ecoli in the spinach a few years back?

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I say just get a TON of leaves, make a big pile, dump some lime on it, let it sit.
    In about 6 months turn it with a loader, dump more lime on it, let it sit again.

So long you get at least 100 cubic yards of leaves you should have some dirt within a year, but get TONS, more is better.
    In terms of tons, at least 5 or 10, 20 wet is good too.

I've been fiddling with this idea for some time, but I'm still saving for a loader.
    Then just dump the fall leaves in a pile, there's never a shortage of supply for that.

10. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

We made some up at school. It was small batch stuff. 1/3 part Sand, 1/3 part clay, 1/3 part silt. After it was mixed, add 1/2 organic matter (used wood chips and grass clippings) But you may get different results from other organic matter like poop. Their is a compost company that gets theirs from a egg farm.