1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to manage tons of accounts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by aclassic, May 9, 2006.

1. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

I'm sure this has been posted somewhere, and I have used the search option quite a bit. but i havent found what i'm looking for. i am looking at getting into the aeration business and am realizing that to make it work well, you must get 100's of accounts. So my question is, how do you manage this many accounts (sales, $ collection, records, bidding)? Can one person do it?
    please direct me to another thread if you know of one, or just help me if you can
  2. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

oh yeah, i'm interested mainly in how one goes about handling all of this, and maybe a suggestion on software and how that would help
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

First of all, you don't needs hundreds to make it work well.

To make it work well, you have to schedule it properly AND price it accordingly. Scheduling can be a little tricky cause the ground conditions have to be taken into consideration. Too dry and you can't pull plugs. Too wet and you make a muddy mess is all.

As for pricing, you need to consider # of obstacles to go around, hills/slopes, and how many passes you'll have to make.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I handle customers one at a time, whether I have 5 or 50 or 500, first come, first serve...
    Once the first customer's service is finished, next.
  5. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

right, obviously one needs to handle each of his/her accounts one at a time and give each one their full attention. and yes, i agree that you dont have to have a ton of accounts to be successful in aeration.
    even handling one account at a time whether it be 50 or 500 accounts, you have to do the paper work, billing, bidding, records, advertising, etc. is there software out there that can help handle all of that, or is there advise that can be given on how to handle large numbers of accounts.
  6. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

we have 110 acounts about and are very very far from organized by any means..... just keep your head out your ass and we started using quickbooks for bills and it helps alot

firt year we had 20 accounts then 60-70 and in our third year we have over 100 and either way you give customers same attention if you cant handle that many customers solo get some help.... the first step in being in the lawn care business is knowing how to run a business if you cant do that think again...
  7. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

thanks jj, best advise yet.
    i guess one thing i am interested in is how do companies like chemlawn manage that many accounts. that might be a bad example because they have lots of money, experience and personel. i'm interested b/c the business plan i am working on is for aeration. and as rodfather said, i dont have to have that many accounts to make it work, i would just like to show that i am prepared for as much as possible.
    jj as you said w/in a few years you had 100+ accounts and its a bit crazy, i just want to do anything i can to be prepared for that if it comes to that.
  8. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have hundreds of accounts but I do have a lot. I try to take a couple of minutes at the end of each day and put together a schedule for the next day from me excel list of customers. Try to look at the weather and plan accordingly, write it down and take off. There really isn't any easy way to do it.
  9. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

In order to Schedule, Bill, and collect, you will need a very good software. We use Lawn Assistant. It is about the best you will find in the industry but the best comes with a price tag. It will do everything for you but the work..... You can litterally manage thousands of customers from one software.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Did you ever use Clip? Wondering if you tried it and didn't like it?