1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how to measure beds to figure out yards of mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mr mow, Apr 27, 2006.

1. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

how do you guys measure a bed to figure out the amount of mulch needed in yards?
  2. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

I use a wheel. Take the measurments, make a drawing of the area and put the measurements on the drawing. I then use a mulch calculator, try googling that. You need to figure out how many inches deep you want to go. I then add 10%.
  3. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I know this doesn't help you much, but I very rarely actually measure my mulch jobs. For most beds I can fairly accurately estimate the amount of mulch needed just by looking at the bed.

On larger more open areas I still have a problem estimating the amount of mulch needed so I will measure those out and put the numbers into this calculator http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/howmuch/calculator.htm

Don't forget to account for plants and areas that wont get covered by the mulch. And remember, a little too much is never a big deal, but when you have to go buy another half yard b/c you ran out, it can be a real pain.
  4. mr mow

i did the calculator 1" thick by 5' wide by 20' long and it gave me .31 cubic yards. im thinking more like 2 yrds not a third of yard or do i have to multiply .31 by 4?
  5. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Your calculations are correct.

2 yards would mean roughly 6" of mulch.

6. JonM

JonM LawnSite Member

I believe it is as follows. You measure the square footage, take the total square footage, multiply it by the (desired depth in inches / 12 inches), and then divide by 27.

40ft by 50ft bed
    I want to have mulch 1.5 inches deep

2000 (40x50) x 0.125 (1.5 / 12) = 250 / 27 = 9.26 yards

This is what I use with just a calculator, hope it helps! ;)
  7. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

Yes your calculations are correct. You basically would need 1/2 a yard of mulch (rounded up).
  8. mr mow

thanks guys that really helped bunches