1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to measure grass height?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Aug 4, 2005.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Do you just stick a ruler in the grass and see the average height or stand the blade of grass up to see the actual lenth of the grass. We have alot of fescue around here and it lays down so the grass is actually longer than it is tall. Just wondering for comparison purposes. I know it sounds like a stupid question .
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i measure from a flat surface (garage floor/trailer deck). to the tip of the blade.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

When it's level with the top of the bowl, yer good.
  4. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Hahaha...stoner. Well if you want to measure the height at which you are cutting then I would just stick a ruler but if you want to get the length of a blade then you have to stick it up.
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

So I guess I just need to measure the height of the mower blades instead of the grass. When they recomend mowing fescue at 3-3 1/2 inches I was just wanting to make sure the deck was calibrated correctly. Thanks.
  6. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Measure blade height (cutting edge) down to flat surface such as a gargage floor. This should be the cutting height. Grass that is laying over should be picked up (sucked up) by the high lift suction and cut
    at the measured height. (In a perfect condition ).

That is if the lawn is mostly flat with no dips and the grass will pick up.

7. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Assuming you have the deck leveled at the height you wish to mow with measure the blade edges (all of them) at the front down to a level surface. Naturally if they are not all the same something is not
    right. Either the deck is not level, the floor is not level or possibly a
    blade is warped.