how to measure

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ebayollis, Apr 28, 2008.

1. ebayollis

ebayollis LawnSite Member

How do you measure for doing a mulching job...i know its by yards but how can you figure how many yards you need?...also if anyone is from the western NC area what are some going rates?

2. Whitetail Landscaping  MA

Whitetail Landscaping MA LawnSite Member

A 10 by 10 area (100 sq ft ) is 1 yard of mulch , at 3 inches thick. So you can look at the beds and estimate how many yards you need. Some house will already have mulch from last year and all they realy need is about an inch of mulch for color and good coverage. Others will need more like a new bed you would want to go 3 inches for good coverage and it will kept the weed controled.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

4. ebayollis

Ok thanks Guys!

5. ebayollis

what are the going rates in your area? Price Per Yard+you labor Rates(Dosent matter Where)

6. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

Use the helpful tools at the top of this page^

7. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I just use my 100' roll of tape measure, and measure the length and width of the gardens. Then I just enter it into a calculation that my dad made up. It works pretty good for me.

8. Greenguy1

Greenguy1 LawnSite Member

Length X width divided by 81 gives you yards at 4" deep need only 2"? then half that amount, I used to use this formula for concrete, you can't fail.

9. edgeman2003

edgeman2003 LawnSite Member
    from md

how much is Mulch a yard run? any one in hagerstown area? the total price installed. I have customer with only like 3- 5 yard.