how to mix mos. barrier

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by walter2, Jun 24, 2005.

1. walter2

walter2 LawnSite Member

there is some confusion for me when it comes to mixing . what are you mixing with it oil soap what is the most effective way to mix ?
    I apply using a b.p.sprayer my mix is 6oz m.b.+ 6oz veg.oil 2 tbs. soap for 4 gallons of water. also i dont have a clue as to priceing . please help!!!! :help:

2. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

I add the water to my back pack sprayer minus a gallon then add all of the ingredients into a milkjug with water put the cap on and shake it up.
    Then pour the jug into the sprayer and agitate the sprayer a bit and I'm good to go.

Works for me!

Mike

3. walter2

walter2 LawnSite Member

looking for mixing ratios and additives any help is appreciated
    thank you g.w.e. i will do the same. also i have a 36 in. x-mark and i want to mount a sprayer tank tank to it any thoughts ? :help:

4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

5. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

I just got done spraying 3 gallons of the barrier. I readthe mixing directions and i use the called amount of 3 oz per gallon for backpack sprayers. I used no oil since i was not spraying water laying areas, besides i use the dunks for those. I did put in a little soap (2 ozs or so). this is my first trial of this on my own lawn, i have had others that used it and say it is an improvement.

good luck

6. walter2

walter2 LawnSite Member

iv read that the oil break surface tension allowing m.b. to coat plant leaves instead of beading and running off ? will the oil hurt any plants is it safe to assume i will not be killing the flower beds off?

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Oils are NOT good for ornamental foliage(flowers included). They clog the pores and cause respiratory problems.

8. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Firedude26, what is the verdict? Did the Mosquito Barrier help? What do you think of it?

9. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

It seemed to do the trick we had no skeeters in the back yard area of my house. the smell was only there for 10 -15 mins. we did havea few heavy rains the lastfew days so it might need another app.

10. walter2

walter2 LawnSite Member

I have done a ton of research and my mix now always has soap and oil.
    this mix helps it stick to foliage . instead of beading and running off it coats and resists washing off with rain. I did a house built in the middle of a lot of standing water mos. where so bad you could not stay outside for five min. without being torn to bits. after spraying =no mosquitos it has worked great. my mix - 3oz mosb.2oz.oil 1oz soap per gallon
    this guy also has a mos magnet I sprayed around it (there was a swarm) when i went back the mosquitos where gone they wont go near the mos.mag! :blob3: