1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How to move and load bulk mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jondcoleman, May 26, 2010.

1. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

We have been using bagged mulch for years but are starting to use bulk mulch more frequently bc of the lack of availability of quality, low priced bagged mulch.

We mainly do mowing and lawn care so we don't have a bobcat or dingo or anything. Does anyone have any tips for moving/loading bulk mulch other than hard-work and a shovel?

No dump-beds either btw.

Thanks!
    Jon

2. twobroslawns

twobroslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I was just at homedepot and they had a whole row of parking spots filled up with 1 yard babs of mulch. It looked pretty good. The bags had handles on the top so they could load it with their forklift for you.

3. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

have it delivered then wheel borrow it from there.

4. mwh350

mwh350 LawnSite Member

I use a Load Handler. You can get them from northern tool for a little over a hundred bucks. They work surprisingly well. You can use the load handler to fill your wheelbarrow's. I prefer to dump in on a 8 x12 tarp and drag it to the bed in question.

5. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I do, but you could also attach a cart to the back or the deck of your mower to haul the mulch, you can also buy them here http://www.jrcoinc.com/product.asp?id=8

6. Mightymowinc

Mightymowinc LawnSite Member

If you can't drive your truck through the yard, back up to the mulch beds, then dump mulch, it can get a bit dicey. Best option i've found is tying a tarp behind the zeroturn and pulling it to the mulch beds. It's the best way to move alot of mulch at once.

7. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Loadhandler into 2 wheelbarrows is the best option if you choose not to use a dumptruck.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i use a pitchfork or shovel to load wheel barrows from the pile in the truck

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

10. jbt79

jbt79 LawnSite Member

I like the loadhandler, hadnt really seen one before, may go get one this weekend. I have been just getting it delivered, pass the delivery charge along to customers, and wheelbarrow. Wouldnt even think of doing bags, yeah they are easier, but around here bulk is half or less the price of buying bags