How to move and load bulk mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jondcoleman, May 26, 2010.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

To save time and effort......

I was buying the mulch at retail and having wherever I bought it from load it for me. Then just shovel it off into a 10ft sq. wheelbarrow. Just cleaner and easier.

2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Your date? :laugh:

3. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

I empty out my utility trailer (non dump model), throw a tarp in and up over the 2' sides and load with mulch. I then drive to the client, get a couple of smaller rubbermaid containers and carry it up in that to where it has to go. Most of my mulch installations have included DOZENS of steps, so no wheelbarrow for me.

Most landscape supply places charge at least $60 in town to deliver up to 4cu yards of mulch. No thanks.

4. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies. The load handler looks cool but wouldn't work for the trucks we have (custom beds).

Any other tricks for getting mulch off the ground and onto a truck? For example, if we get mulch delivered to our shop, then need to take it somewhere.

Thanks again!

5. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

You can price around for a smaller front end loader with a huge amount of hours on it for a lower price, but it'll still be pricey to use it just for that. If you use a tractor around the shop to cut grass/weeds, etc, look into getting a bucket for it if it has PTO.

6. mwh350

mwh350 LawnSite Member

Can you post a picture of your custom beds? As far as loading goes you really need a tractor, Skid Steer, Backhoe or the like to get it all done correctly.

7. D3athbym3tal

D3athbym3tal LawnSite Member

The only other way to do it is somehow get the mulch elevated, then drive the truck underneath or beside whatever you have it elevated on and shove the mulch off..
    just a spur of the moment idea..
    Something to think about if you really can't afford a tractor.

Or just use that fork and shovel :weightlifter:

8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

exactly what i do. Many on here like to make it more difficult apparently. Leave it in the truck and there is less mess at the clients property and you dont have to load excess.

9. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

We use our bark blower. seems to come in handy.

10. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

May work in your plan but not in most.