How to move stumps?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mrusk, May 3, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I looked at a job today. A guy had a 4 acer feild cleared last year. Tree guy took all the logs and sold them and never came back to clean up the rest of the stuff.

About 50 stumps need to be moved from one side of the feild to the other. Stumps are currently all throughout the feild (already pulled out). Whats the best way to move them? They are big stump.

Can i just push them with a dozer or will that take to long?

Matt

2. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Large loader or the like with pallet forks. Might be best

3. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would use the dozer, but go with whatever piece of equipment you already have. A highlift (crawler loader) is what I would use, especially if you needed to pile them.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If the stumps are already ripped out of the ground a trackloader with a 4in1 bucket would move them. If the ground is smooth enough or if there is any roads a rolloff truck and a excavator can do the job. If they are going to be burned or ground up in a tub grinder the cleaner the stumps are the better.

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

The guy has 30 acers. We are just going to pile them up on the low side of his property.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Skid or track loader with a grapple bucket. pick up the stumps and then drop em in a dump truck and haul em to the low side. or pick em up one at a time and transport them one at a time....

7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

MRusk.....I don't know how big BIG is. I would prefer not to push them with a dozer. That would be 50 forward pushes and 50 return trips plus fixing your stump made roads ( 50 of them). Load them on a trailer and transport them to dump spot and push them off? Load them onto dump truck? Anything you can think of to minimize your back and forth trips. Heck even throwing them like baseballs with an excavator would be better than tracking each one back and forth.......Use your creativity to minimize trips, that is one of the keys.......

8. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i do these jobs with a backhoe and root grapple. if you have a dump truck it would save time on the trips as others have said.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If it comes to it you may have to rent a articulated dump truck or a tracked dump like a Morooka truck.

10. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking to do the same thing - move about 4-5 root balls accross a field into a pile/area.

I was wondering if it would work to use a plain track skid loader and drag the root balls with a long log chain wrapped around the balls?

Skid loaders are cheaper to operate and if you drag them you wouldnt need a trailer/dump.