How to mow??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GAlawnman, Apr 24, 2000.

1. GAlawnman

GAlawnman Guest

I know this may sound like a very basic (and perhaps stupid) question for this forum, but I'm new in the biz and still trying to learn all I can.<p>Is there a preferred pattern or method of mowing in order to get a cut that leaves that cool striping effect? Is it all in the equiptment, mowing technique, or a combo of both?<p>I'm using a 21&quot; commercial Toro, and it leaves an OK looking cut, but I will soon be getting a 36&quot; W.B. and want to make sure that I am getting the right equiptment as well as mowing properly. I take a lot of pride in the final appearance of the lawns I do so any help from you guys would be much appreciated. Not that I'm trying to kiss up or anything, but I really have learned a lot so far from just reading the posts in this forum. Thanks guys!!
  2. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

One word EXPERIENCE.You will learn after a few years what to and not to do.The longer you cut the more you will learn.But keep trying to improve.If you don't you will allways stay at the same level of cutting.Clients what to see a good job.I have kept this in my mind ever since I started out.Today my lawns look just as good or better than any of my compatition.As far as pattern goes,it all depends on your mower.Some leave really nice stripes some don't.I try to go in a diffrent pattern every time.If you cut the same pattern evey time you will soon start to leave marks where your tires go over and over agian.When I first started out I had a large job and did the same pattern ever time becouse it was fast to do it that way.Once it started to get dry you could see yellow lines going across the lawn,it was from the tires going over and over the same spot.Ask anyone on this forum,we all started out and made mistakes when cutting lawns(scalping,riping with tires,sucking up fresh sod......I have done all of the above!)it will just take time to learn to give a perfect cut.Hope this helps!<p>P.S. give me an email at if you ever have any other questions!I'm here to help!<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care<p>
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Galawnman, I have some striping tips on my webpage, if your interested along with some picture links of me mowing. Maybe that will help you out.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<p>
  4. lawnforce1

lawnforce1 LawnSite Member

Yeah, look at Eric's website. I spent about an hour on it last night and spent the whole day today &quot;woodshedding&quot; since it was raining. He is the master of the stripe! I just wish that I had that pattern, that and I wish my F-250 looked as clean as his.
  5. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

erics is the best ive seen(besides the pro ballpark)LoL<p>-Nick
  6. Eric ELM

You guys are going to give me such a big head that I won't be able to get my cap on tomorrow. I do appreciate the compliments though, Thanks.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I second that,Erics stripes are the straightest ive seen,especially over knolls and humps,I bow to the king of the straight stripe.You are the man Eric.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
  8. Eric ELM

Thanks John, I practice every day. LOL BTW, my hat is fitting tighter every day. :)<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>