How to not get burnt out???

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, May 6, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am a young guy. When ever i talk to anyone that has been in this business for more than 10 years they always ask "What the heck were you thinking when you started a landscape company!??!?"

Seems every guy thats been in it for awhile is so burnt out with the daily grind of things.

Any of this sound firmilar to any of you?

I know if i do not change the way i do things, in by age 25 i will be finished!

Matt

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

My first bit of advise is don't try to do it all yourself.

I don't know how some of guys around my area and on this site do everything solo. F that. I'm getting to old for that chit. Try to find some good help, as hard as that can be, and even more so, find good equipment to do the dirty work for you.

3. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I would say the key to not burning out is to take a few months off a year and just reflect on things and plan your next business moves. then the rest of the year work your azz off and make as much money as you can. maybe the winter would be a good time to take off.

4. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

I would say that most of the guys around here either talk that way because they have nothing else to say and it just seems like that is the way they should feel.

Or they are burnt and they didnt form the company well enough to be in a position to sell.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Don't be afraid to spend money on help. Run your business like a company. A Company has many departments with department heads, and workers. A company will run itself without the owner needing to be there on a daily basis. YOU as the owner should be doing things that only YOU can do Such as making executive decisions, or even estimating and drawing up new business.

I have been there done that, and I still find myself doing it. I think it's a thing about wearing too many hats. It will drive you to an early grave. Spread the responsibilities throughout the company and off your shoulders. :)

6. dallas05

dallas05 LawnSite Member

good advice paponte:)