1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to obtain commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ALLPro Landscaping, Dec 17, 2007.

1. ALLPro Landscaping

ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I just started a new buisness, well I have been doing this for freinds now its my new buisness, dont have any res accounts but in my area if you dont have commercial your not going to last. So how do I go about in getting commercial accounts and how do i bid them out.
  2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Why wouldn't you last without commercial accounts?
  3. Ford's Lawncare

Ford's Lawncare LawnSite Member

I agree, how can you not last without commericial accounts? I have a lot more residential accounts, and I usually have less then 10 commericial accounts a year, and it always works out for me.
  4. Infinity Landscapes  Inc

Infinity Landscapes Inc LawnSite Member

Start visiting these accounts get names of property management company and sell yourself and what you can offer them. Don't be supriseed by swinging doors in your face. Its hard to talk to some of these companies when your competeing with so many contractors. Think of it this way 1 or 2 good comm accounts can equal a handful of resdiental accounts. Less travel, gas and you know the rest.
  5. ALLPro Landscaping

we cant last without a few commercial due to the numer of unlicensed guys who will charge $20 to due a lawn cause they have no over head.
  6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

lovely low ballers...
  7. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Everytime you go ANYWHERE...well, anywhere where there is a parking lot at least....find the manager and start chatting.

David talks to EVERYONE...from the manager of McD at breakfast to the manager at the gas station to the Main Man at Walmart. Where you shop, where you eat, where you fuel, where you buy supplies. Talk to construction contractors, paint contractors, real estate agents, etc. etc.

And then for the really big accounts...spend the winter going to the head cheese of local hospitals, clinics, office parks, industrial plants. Just walk in and ask them if they take bids on their props and leave an estimate or a buisness card. Chat, chat, chat. Wave when you see them in town, etc. The more you talk to people the more they will remember you, the more calls you will get.

The kids and I are used to David. He "runs in" for just 1 thing and dosn't come back for 45 mins! Little Chatty-Cathy! "Mom, is Dad talking AGAIN!!":rolleyes:;):rolleyes::)
  8. ALLPro Landscaping

thanks Im also afraid im going to take on something too big i have the chance to take on my local lowes but not sure how to bid nor estimate something so big nor im not sure what im looking for nor how to write up a proposal. Im very bad with putting things on paper
  9. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

I can't agree more. I talk a lot and I'm told I'm passionate when I talk to people. not "Hey, Mr. Jones, how's it going?" more like "Mr. Jones! How've you been? having a nice summer? (or gettin' ready for Christmas?) How's Mrs. Jones? (I always use first names BTW) then add in something about the service you provide them " Have any parties on that new patio yet?"
    The swinging door is right... I've tried to get HOA committee members to call me back, stopped in, called again (sporadically, but consistently) finally one day they had a problem with their current service and called me and he told me, "I hafta tell ya, I thought of you first when this problem came up. I admire persistence!" You might only get one shot to talk to them while walking through a hallway, seriously. It's very important to look sharp at these meetings (no t-shirt, work clothes) look professional, act professional and you'll get the chance to show them you're as professional as you look.
  10. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

On bigger accounts, the way I do it to this day to start at one point on the property and look at it in sections. Think of it as a block of customers. I say this section takes X hours, needs X mulch, next section, then add it all up. i always split out services separately on big jobs. I don't mean itemizing every little detail, but say it's a maintenance contract at Lowe's, it's X for mowing once a week and describe what that includes (e.g. Mowing, edging, clean-up debris, weeding). Mulching price includes: cleaning beds, edging, trimming shrubs, application or pre-emergent, and installation of mulch. Write out EVERYTHING that is included no matter what. This makes the customer feel like you're doing a lot more for the price and protects you when they call and say you didn't do something you're supposed to. If it's important enough to talk about, it's important enough to put in writing.