How To Operate Jrco Dethatcher???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by whoopassonthebluegrass, Apr 18, 2008.

1. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I just bought a 36" Jrco. tine rake dethatcher. For those of you who have one, what techniques do you employ to effectively and efficiently put it to work?

2. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

1. Pull lever
    2. Lower it to ground position
    3. Drive forward and watch brown grass lay on top of fresh grass
    4. If bagger wasn't already attached, do so now and proceed to collect and dump debris.
    5. If no bagger available, blow or rake debris into piles and dispose of
    6. Collect money, or if sending bill, load up and move onto next job.

3. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

Well said, it's that easy and you get to collect even more money

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

Thanks, smart guys. I'm more looking for things like: what speed can I effectively operate at? Is one pass going to prove sufficient, or do I need a cross pattern? Etc.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy joking around as much as the next guy, but I'm looking for some valid input here. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

5. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I run at full speed with the 46'' jrco on my turf tracer. You do need to run at two directions, in order to work up the debris.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Run as fast or as slow as you want. This rake basically fluffs up the lawn and you can spend a short amount of time there or really work the lawn up with multiple passes at different directions. I have found that most customers really like the job at one quick pass and then vacuum the debris. If a lawn is really matted or extra thick from not being cut last season then you will probably be spending more time getting it to look good. This rake does nothing for true thatch. It is basically a rake that you have inf ront of a gas engine. I watch guys on Z's go flat out and another going flat out bagging behind them doing a 10K sq ft lawn in under a half hour. From a distance it looks OK and basically thats what a customer wants. Its good money and people seem to really like this where I am from. Now if it would just stop raining. By the way, I did enjoy the simple step by step instructions above.:laugh:

7. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i dont care what anyone says, your steps were very helpful. :waving:

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

Jaybird:
    Apparently I have offended. Folks are defending your process...

I guess I just sort of took for granted that those steps were the obvious ones and was looking beyond them. Surely no one would drop $500 on one of these and not have an inkling of how they operate??

So anyways.... no offense, my friend. :):):):):):):)

9. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

None taken. It really is that simple though. Like other posters have said, sometimes extra passes are needed, but in a nutshell that is it. We run a separate bagging system so we wait until a few passes are made around beds and such and then blow the debris out to be collected. The rake tends to take leaves and sticks and put them in piles. When this happens just back up when at the end of a run and it will leave it in a nice pile for you.

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

My lawns are extremely clean and well manicured. (Not necessarily because of me, either... well, okay, I guess it IS because of me.) Not really any sticks or leaves... I'm just fighting heavy snow matting/mold. So my goal is really just to fluff it up and chop it off... all from the convenience of my sulky. :)