How to organize computer files

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tinman, Nov 7, 2005.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

How to organize computer files? Any way to do this easier. I have so much now it is hard to remember where stuff is. Is there a free program to do this. Thanks fellas

2. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

Buy an external hard drive (you can get one with much more space than I'm sure you need for 100 bucks). You can store all of your stuff on the drive, and even turn it on/off as needed to prevent folks from browsing without your permission.

3. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

I have the same problem. I try to put Business files under a file of that name with sub-files listed with names like landscape, equipment, letters, new ideas...etc. but I still lose some things. Some items just seem to have more than one category that they fit in. If its something I think I need in both I sometimes save it twice but the problem with that is when you make a change you only change one. Google has a desktop file organizer but I haven't tried it yet. Has anyone else tried it and did it help you?

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

use folders. Lawn folder, snow folder, finance folder, etc. THen put all of your computer files into those folders

5. tinman

from ga

Yeah , I do that Troy, but I have so many...My desktop looked like ..well my real desktop...cluttered. But I just went thru and deleted about 300 items that I no longer need or duplicates. So that will help. I think I need to be more careful where I put the file when I create it. But I did look at teh Google desktop tool & may download it.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

one policy that I adopted this last year was keep the paperwork simple stupid.

I tried to cut back on the amount of paperwork that I have in regards to giving customers, and running the business. Every couple of months I go book through and delete things that I haven't used in a long time

Where is this Google thing at? I am curious

7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

put all the folders on the desktop into one (my documents maybe). zip disks is another good way. removeable, rewriteable, and password protect disk.

8. tinman

from ga

google.com and click on "more" above search box and scroll to bottom where it says "Desktop"