how to overseed a St. Aug. lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kacj777, May 16, 2008.

1. kacj777

kacj777 LawnSite Member

Trying to get my grass back. Some of my yard was killed by Chinch bugs and was wondering if their was a way to overseed my yard?
  2. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

St. Augustine is not available in seed form, use plugs or sod.
  3. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow looks like somebody needs to read more books about the grass he cuts.
  4. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

This sounds like a job for

Sounds like you need to eradicate your Chinch bug population---The Boll Weevel can devistate a Cotton field-----same way the Chinch bug can devistate a St. Aug yard

If you know its Chinch bugs----grab the sprayer and "hose 'um!!!!"----since St. Aug will spread runners faster than fire from Daisy the Chicago cow----it won't take long for the bare spots to fill in
  5. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

Wow, that was some helpful insight.
  6. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im not joking, your supposed to be a professional. To ask a question like that shows you have very little or no understanding of the turf you service. I could have called you incompetent but I didnt. I gave you very good advice, reading turf books will only make you a better professional. Books dont bite, I know of a place...its called a library that wont even charge you cent. How is that for some helpful insight.
  7. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

You may have jumped the gun a bit. The original post was NOT a professional, he has only 7 posts, and in the wrong forum--Should be in the "Home Owner's" forum at bottom of site. The original post did have a legitimate question and did get a good answer in the 2nd post and he does not state that he mows professionally. I understand your trane of though but to whom is your statement directed. I might suggest that you quote the poster that you are responding so you do not offend innocent people. "We're all in this together"-- be civil.
    Now if your're referring to the answer from the 2nd poster--then you sir need to take your own advise--St. Augustine does produce seeds, but they are sterile and thusly lawns must be resoded or pluged.
  8. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

The guy was just asking a question...try to help him instead of trying to belittle him.
  9. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

It was'nt.
  10. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

people are quick in here!