How to paint a Mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by IRRITECH, Feb 9, 2013.

1. teckjohn

teckjohn LawnSite Senior Member

Harbor Freight has a few there for like 100 bucks
  2. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sandblasters are great for getting in all those tight spaces that are impossible to reach with a wire wheel.

Irritech's job looks pretty pretty darn good anyway, though.
  3. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

You did a dang good job. I might be looking to do my exmark come the spring time.
  4. teckjohn

teckjohn LawnSite Senior Member

5. Dixie Bluegrass

Dixie Bluegrass LawnSite Member

Excellent post. Am looking to paint an exmark 21 and a John Deere 21 soon. I also bought 2 cans of real exmark paint to put on it. Way too expensive at $15 a can. Will use rust oleum next time. Great job.
  6. SterlingLawn&Landscape

SterlingLawn&Landscape LawnSite Member
    from RI

Definitely can't beat a sandblaster those always work the best to get everything down. Little tip I picked up in the auto industry on certain applications after all the prep work is done before paint, hit it with a little bit of heat nothing crazy enough to pull all the moisture out of the metal before applying the paint. It has helped double the life of some of my paint jobs.
  7. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Won't hold up like powder coat but I can appreciate what you did, taking pictures and drawing it all up for the next guy, that's pretty cool.

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

No, it won't hold up like a powder coat. Most guys don't have the ability to coat something that big. I did pick up a spray gun and did the 36 exmark with Duplicolor red and clear coat. Much easier and smoother finish. We will see how it holds up
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. ejceles

ejceles LawnSite Member

Good job on your mower! Can you elaborate on how you taped off your decals? Also do you have pics of the 36" you can share and which paint color did you use? Thanks, EJ

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark 36 painted with Dupli Color Performance Red and Gloss Clear Coat, and a $12 Harbour Freight HVLP gun. To tape the decals just run row after row of painters tape, extending past the decal. The decal is raised above the deck just a bit, allowing you to see the edge after you tape it. Just take a razor knife and cut around it.

Exmark 36.jpg

Exmark Paint.JPG