How to pay for one time help?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Turf Professionals Inc., Aug 15, 2007.

1. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

Hey fellas, I just landed a one time cut from the school board over here. I am a solo operator, but they need this job done in a certain time frame. I need some help to get done in the time frame I am looking at. I am not asking how to subcontract out to another company. I want to pay my (brother or friend) to help me. How can I do that without a full out hire process? Thanks in advance!

2. lawn masters2006

lawn masters2006 LawnSite Member

PAY CASH....GEZZZZZZZZZZZ
    :confused: :hammerhead:

3. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

yeah, I thought about that after I made the post. Just to entertain the thought though. How would I pay someone for a one time job.

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Subcontract labor. Cut them a check. You only need to 1099 them if it's over $599.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Here's how I do it, once a year I write myself a check for $599 and I cash it.
    Now that money can pay for any one time labor for the year, technically speaking you should be able to do 599 once for every one-time hire but I took some advice, cut a 599 check one time a year and that's it, could save a lot of questions from the IRS later.
    Yup, because who is to know if, say you cut 3x 599 that you didn't pay it all to one guy, so IMO 599 once eliminates suspicion.
    Yes, you still can pay cash to as many as you like, up to 599 each, but as for the records I don't do it because it hurts me later, however you want to interpret that should be fine, but I do 599 once.

Not sure if it matters, but I call this 'casual labor.'
    If the IRS asks, tell the truth whether it's a guy who was standing aside the road, or a friend, whatever.

And if I hire nobody, guess who keeps the 599? :p

6. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

Wouldn't they be suspicious that it was only $599 or is that a joke? lol