How To Perform Governor Adjustments on BBC Mowers

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by OldLawnMowerMan81, Jul 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanx...I honestly didn't know what that meant....
    The first day I worked in a mower shop....they started me on commercial mowers...and never looked back.....
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. OldLawnMowerMan81

OldLawnMowerMan81 LawnSite Member

The next time my dad tinkers with the engine, this time I hope it will read 3000 RPM on the TinyTach (this without the BBC engaged). When I then engage the BBC, it should read 2850-2900 RPM.

To get a realistic idea of the actual blade tip speed of your mower with the BBC engaged, subtract at least 100 RPM from the manufacturer's stated no-load engine RPM.

For example, if a Honda GXV140 engine on a BBC-equipped HR215SXA mower is turning 3100 RPM without load, then when you engage the Roto-Stop (Honda's terminology for BBC), the engine RPM should then amount to up to 3000 RPM.

~Ben

3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

You, in fact, want to adj. the top rpm's with the blade rotating it's the only way to get an accurate reading.
    The blades being engaged is not considered a load. It is a parasitic load, and should be accounted for when setting the top no load speed, which, by the way can be set to any rpm you want on your personal mower. I like to keep my unit at 3500 or so.

Blade tip speed/ rpm charts based on blade length/ cutting dia. are online.

4. OldLawnMowerMan81

OldLawnMowerMan81 LawnSite Member

Have you ever tried to determine the factory high speed setting by determining the overall tension of the spring?

Also, what kind of loaded (blade turning) and no-load (blade not turning) speeds do you get on your Toro TNT100?

~Ben