how to pick up hedge clippings??

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by kylefiroe90, Aug 9, 2009.

1. kylefiroe90

kylefiroe90 LawnSite Member

Ive stayed pretty busy with hedge and shrub trimming this season. But it seems to take forever to clean up the clippings. Whats the most productive way to pick up clippings in bed areas??

2. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

If the beds are mulched I put down my painting dropcloths before I start trimming then pick them up from either end and dump in barrel.If not mulched blow onto lawn then suck up with your mower,this also shreds them so you can fit more in the barrel, saves me from raking.

3. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I usually do too. rake/blow them into the grass and suck them up with a Honda Masters.

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Rakes work real well for us.

Tarps for the bulk, rake the rest.

5. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

If they have gravel, blow the clippings onto the driveway, grass, and hit with the 36'', rake anything left over and trash...:)

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If rock - blow out after trimming and rake up
    If mulch/bark - blow out on low throttle and rake up.
    I don't use tarps, don't want to spend the time dragging them around.

7. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

These clippings can be a real pain. Mowers just don't suck them up completely.

8. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I rake them and then blow the little crumbs that are left out on the lawn. I'd rather do the trimming than clean up the mess....like you said, it seems to take a long time.

9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i rake and leafblow and put in trash cans and then dump into the bed of the truck

10. diamondedgeoutdoor

diamondedgeoutdoor LawnSite Member

i use a tarp in beds with enhanced/dyed mulch since it is next to impossible to blow anything out of that stuff and everything else like natural mulch and rocks i just blow out into the yard and rake up.