how to pick up pinecones?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kayakn, Jul 7, 2008.

1. kayakn

kayakn LawnSite Member

In my neighborhood there are a lot of pine trees, to many... when people call me to come clean them up, there are a ton of them. to give you an idea of how many i am talking about, on one lawn that i did, there where 35 bags of pinecones i picked up by crawling on the ground. i need an easier way that crawling but i dont want that pinecone pickuper tube thing.
    any ideas on what to use?
    Thanks,Blake

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

pine cone pickupper tube! LOL:laugh:

3. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

i had to say that! :laugh:i don't know! that must suck with all those pine cones! maybe a rake will be easier! i have a few yards, thank goodness, with pine trees and i have a bucket and hand pick them up off the ground, but i don't have that many, 35 bags...WOW

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if this will work or if you have the money but one of those push lawn vacs that you can buy at TSC or home depot and lowes. That might work.

5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

First I would charge the crap out of them for waiting so long to clean them up. i use our Walker it just powders them; however in reality I've newer done a whole yard covered in pine cones lots of them under the pine tree's we currently maintain but thats different. Try mulching them with your mower raise the deck just enough to get the pine cone to go under the deck, and not "roll" in front of the deck.:clapping::dizzy:

Then charge the snot out of them

charge for a new set of gator blades for the wear & tear also.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That pine cone picker up thing is called a Coneivore (www.coneivore.com) and it works very well on cones that are open. I have 13 Long Leaf Pines here at my house and they drop around 30 to 50 cones a week. My old back doesn't bend over as good as it used to and the Coneivore makes picking them up easy and quick.

For a large scale cleanup I use a lawn sweeper. It is very fast and gets them all without leaving chopped up pinecones everywhere.

You can also use a backpack blower to get them all into a pile and then dispose of them however you like.

7. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

use a plastic leaf rake and rake batches of them onto a say 4 X 6 plastic tarp then lift the tarp by its 4 corners and pour the cones into the bags .

8. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

We use a walk behind blower, works better on dry cones that are open. Like leaves, blow them in to windrows and tarp em' up.

9. warren piece

warren piece LawnSite Member

You might also try baganut.com.

10. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

go to wally world and buy yourself the largest dipnet that you can find. simple, cheap and effective. a kids rake helps to flip them in then when the net is getting full and saves from having to empty your net as often. even without it, it will beat that pipe thingamajigger.