How to plant flowers from flats

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mowitup, Jan 1, 2004.

1. mowitup

mowitup LawnSite Member

:help: I've been cruising through the forums trying to find out how to plant flowers that you buy from a flat. I can't find any info on it.

I drove by a house that I did about a month ago and the pansies I planted look withered. Is that from winter or because they're dying?

Also, I was told to spread the roots out a bit when I put the flower in the hole. To put my hand in the bottom and then spread my fingers out, kinda like you do to tickle someone's knee. Is that right?

I also planted them with iron chellate to keep them green. Winter doesn't hit here too bad but I still wanted to make sure they were green throughout the next couple months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
  2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

how cold is it in NV they will look bad in the cold weather but when spring cums they will look beautiful i plant all of mine in the fall to give color till it snows as for planting techniques i just jam them in
  3. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Is this a serious question, come on....get out of landscaping if you are serious. :rolleyes:
  4. chris08087

chris08087 LawnSite Member

Step 1: stick shovel in ground and remove soil
    Step 2: insert plant
    Step 3: fill hole and compact soil.

But seriously, I dont do anything special when planting flowers. If you want to make sure the plants are real hearty, go get some starter fert or some of the nursery fert (the stuff growers use on nursery stock, scotts makes special stuff) and spread a little around each plant. if you have a lot of plants to do, you can buy a gun that dispenses a pre-determined amount of fert every time the trigger is pulled.
    I have also used small auger bits on drills for planting quantity. makes the holes quickly...then you just have someone following to plant the flowers.
  5. mowitup

mowitup LawnSite Member

ksland, yes it is a serious question. I'm sure there was stuff you didn't know in the beginning.

hole in one lco, thanks for the idea about the cold. I saw them withering and thought it was something that I had done.

for the rest of everyone, you don't even spread the roots? You just pop em in? Don't you have to do some kind of root pruning or anything. I know you have to when planting trees but doesn't that apply to smaller plants too?
  6. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

if its in less than a 3 galleon bucket i don't worry about it
    you can stimulate the root by hand if you wont it wont hurt
    the only thing you need to worry about is air so be sure to press around the plant when you are done planting oxygen is the biggest killer of plant next to dog urine
  7. mowitup

mowitup LawnSite Member

Hole in one lco,

thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
  8. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

it would also help if the homeowner or yourself could spray with a liquid 10-10-10 every other week. this will give pansies many more blooms throught it's growing cycle.
  9. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

I never worry about spreading roots on annuals, they're only going to be in the ground a few months. And if you try it, you will knock too much of the potting soil off, especially pansies. I prep, fertilize, plant, and usually light mulch.

Pansies will wither with a cold snap, especially if new, but as someone else said, they come back with warmer weather. I suggest doing some research on plants in your area (by any means available) if you are going to be in the business. People will eventually ask you questions and they will expect you to know more than them.

Good luck,
  10. EvandSeby

EvandSeby LawnSite Member

I use a sharp knife to cut out a uniform amount of roots with each plant. Did the plants get water at the outset? Wasn't there a cold snap/snow close to you in the last few days? This will also make them look withered going from a nice protected spot to out in the open....stick with the plants but replace those that don't make it after about 3 weeks.