1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to prep for winter... organicly...

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Aug 22, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

SO, what do we do to get ready for the winter months? Organically that is... anything?
  2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Eat lots and lots of organic food and pack on the weight.. hibernation seems to do better when it's organic food... :)

I would say X amount of N just before the grass goes dormant... but...
  3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

yeah... that sounds more synthetic than organic... and goes back to the whole N deal... what good does N do the plants anyways if they are dormant? They going to hold on to it all winter? It seems the best thing to do would be to treat it enough to get to the point that it goes dormant, and then treat again just before it starts coming back to life.
  4. JDUtah

from UT

N right before (2-4 weeks) they go dormant gives them a good jump for the spring.. you would be surprised. :)

And yup.. if they want green, and you don't have the soil yet... N wont hurt. :)
  5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

he shoots and its... he missed the goal, no point..........

this should have read what to do to the soil to get it good for winter, so this dormant grass stores carbs/aminos and all for spring?? why?? and are these nutrients the same as it grows??? why not just call it the xmas money treatment.lolol winterizer is that like anti freeze.lolol

down here we just wax the surf boards.lolol
  6. JDUtah

from UT

hahaa tree, something like antifreeze. It works though. :)

And as far as the soil... I think a good spring CT when soil temp hits.... 55-70? Help reintroduce the herd that died off from the cold.
  7. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

is there a winterizer test that goes with the fert.. you got me on this one its a real funny to hear this AGAIN.lolol
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Here's a hint... late winter early spring and root growth.....
  9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Plants build up carb reserves and probably aminos as tg said.

Remember the thread of jd's research? The plants sends out enzymes that stimulate the activity of microbes? When it has enough N it switched enzymes to K for example?

Plants all over the world prepare themselves for winter. They do better in good soil with sufficient water, but they do it according to their needs.

We THINK we know that the grass needs 3lbs/k of N b4 winter, but we also KNOW that N in the spring causes rapid green growth that BURNS up the carb reserves. That is close enough to a 'logical absurdity' for me to just enrich the soil and let the plant decide what it wants to do.

I hold off judgement of N till about May here so the Milorganite has time to get used by Memorial Weekend. [This is Northern grasses and I make no claims about Southern grasses, because I have no experience with them.]
  10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Compost does a soil good!