1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to present an estimate?????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Slcareco, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

What do you do/use to present an estimate? You have a form you fill out for

your reference then just give them a word document listing the services they

want and the estimated price for the work? Please leave alllllllll feedback and

your ideas and what you do thanksssssss
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i use a program, called "my estimates and invoices", its about 40 bucks, available at most places..... you can put a logo on your presentation, set it up how you want, and print out the estimate, and the same goes for invoiceing...... there are better and more expensive programs, but this works for me..:)
  3. Slcareco

so what do you present to the client or prospective client and what would it look like? do you show hourly rates?
  4. monstermows

monstermows LawnSite Member
    from ohio

After they have showed interested in you I would go over to their lawn. I would look at their lawn. Me I have mowed enough lawns to be able to make a good estimate on how long the lawn would take for me to complete. If I was a one man team and I thought the lawn would take 1 hour to complete I would charge 32-40 dollars an hour. Read the customer. Does he have a Hummer in the driveway? Not just that but make a judgment on his personality charge him top dollar if seems to like to spend and push how your quality of lawncare is better than the rest.
  5. Slcareco

Im asking about the physical presentation like what would your estimate look like on paper, and mainly on landscape/maintenance other then mowing ??? Do you show your client the hour wage its gonna cost them for a spring clean up, do you break it down? do you just give them the price or do you tell em it cost X/hr and will prox take ___ hours??? attach your work
  6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

If at all possible avoid giving them your actual hourly rate. You'll get a billion answers on this one.
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

services are listed with prices, any extinuating circumstances, about rain, drought..

dont just shoot them a number, just because we are new and small time doesnt mean you have to let the client know that... present a professional estimate, with all information, logos, address and phone.....on paper

its the neighbor hood kid mowing lawns and just naming a price.image we are trying to avoid, demanding higher prices through professionalism.....

you will never find a contractor in other trades just shooting out a number,... a professional presentation..:)
  8. Slcareco

but like when i get a call for a job i would charge hourly what do i present to them?
  9. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

For maintenance I usually give a monthly charge, and a cost per application. for installation a material list, and individual line charge.
  10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

For a simple cut job I produce a proposal from Quick Books. I have a 3 page standard contract for monthly contract. I add a 4th page (or more if needed) with the scope of work.
    As far as pricing- Keep it all the same- no mater what they drive or their personalty.

All accounting is done in Quick Books and all routing and scheduling is done in Gopher.