How to prevent cross contamination in sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Stuttering Stan, May 16, 2006.

1. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I am just a small timer and can't afford a sprayer for each chemical, so I try to wash the sprayer when changing chemicals. This is a PIA and time consuming, not to mention not always effective. How do the pros prevent cross contamination in their sprayers?

2. Rembrandt100

Rembrandt100 LawnSite Member

I would have thought that a licensed applicator would know that already! I know it was a question on the tests that I wrote.

Dave

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Use a product like Nutrasol and follow the recommendations.

4. Chris@CRU

Chris@CRU LawnSite Member

All chemical suppliers have products that can be put into your sprayer to remove residues, however, unless you want to test your luck, the sprayer used for non selectiver herbicides should not be used for anyhting else. Round-Up and other non selectives have a tendancy to etch into rubber hoses and remain there. "Tank Cleen" is one I have personally used and like.

5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have separate sprayer's for round-up, insecticide and broad-leaf control and have them all marked. its cheaper to buy a couple more BP sprayer's than it will be to replace someones landscaping if you don't get you'r sprayer cleaned out.

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Amen Indy. Don't screw around with rinsing sprayers. Buy seperate ones. You will make a mistake and accidentally spray herbicide instead of insecticide on Mrs. Jones's prize roses. I've seen it done. Buy hand cans if you can't afford the $90 for a BP. You can get a Lesco 2 gallon hand can for less than $30.