1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How to price a golf cart bridge to client???

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jonnyz37, Aug 6, 2014.

1. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

That's why I suggested that he have the course owners provide a letter of indemnification so the Golf Course will have the contractors best interest at heart!.
    easy-lift guy

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Price it The same way you'd price a deck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

Just make sure you know what you are doing. The pre fab idea sounds great. I have played many courses and seen some horrible bridges. Bridges that I am scared to walk on much less ride a cart over. Not to mention the aren't aesthetically pleasing.

4. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your hourly rate? In order to stay in business, you MUST know your operating costs and profit needs. This varies from company to company. Sounds like you need to crunch numbers, estimate how many hours this job will take, and how much profit you need to walk away with. This is Business 101.

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

You're premise is all wrong. It's like asking how much to charge per sq. ft. for a paver patio install or how much to charge per zone for a sprinkler system install or how much to charge per fixture for an night lighting install. There's no magic formula, buddy. You don't bid jobs that way. Every job is unique. Every jobsite is unique. Materials vary from on location to the next, wildly. Prices on lumber vary daily. You cannot just guess what the materials price and labor is. You need to figure out all of the materials, get an accurate price from a local supplier those materials and figure out what the labor is really going to be for this. Then multiply your labor rate by the number of hours you're figuring. Wouldn't hurt at that point to add in an extra 10% or 20% just for incidentals or just in case it takes you longer than you think.

What you're asking for isn't something any of us can tell you. We have no idea exactly what materials would be required, what your labor rate is, how fast or slow you work, what the daily mobilization time will be - or any of that.

A better question would have been, "How long do you think it will take to build a bridge like this from scratch?" and then provide a photo of one that looks similar to what you envision. There are thousands of photos of small bridges like that on Google Image search. But so far, you're going about this all wrong. You're acting like we just all bid jobs by some magic formula like materials x 4. Nobody who is successful in business bids like that. That's a bad way to do business. Not to mention the fact that you seem to be very ungrateful for some of the good advice you've already been given in this thread. So now the guys who really do have the experience and could have been helpful to you are just mocking you or just tuning you out now. Wise up, man!

6. DVS Hardscaper

Pricing work isn't something that we can just sum up in a few sentences. It takes most guys even with a solid business instinct, years and years to LEARN and understand.

The pricing questions come up repeatedly on this forum.

I have even mentioned to the moderator that we start what's called individual STICKEY threads, that stays at the top of the forum for frequently asked questions, and I have states that during the winter months I could offer to get the topics started. I participate / refer to a forum for a certain brand of dirt bikes and they have stickeys for questions that arise over and over and over and over.

I have written extensively about how to price work. Please click on my user name and conduct a search on my posts and you'll find oddles of information.

When i think of this bridge, I think of a boardwalk at a beach. More or less a beefy deck is all a boardwalk is.

How are your carpentry skills? If you don't have carpentry skills - then this isn't a job for you.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

so its not rocket science, but you have no idea how to price it..??

what happens when a footing washes out and 3 years. maybe some anti scour protection around the footings like rip rap?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  8. DVS Hardscaper

we don't know your financial, jonnyz37. Only you know that. My price could be $2200.00, but Jim may need $3500.00 to do it.

9. jonnyz37

jonnyz37 LawnSite Senior Member

You guys make valid points. I submit my proposal Monday.... I'll post how it goes.
    Posted via Mobile Device