1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to Price A Private Pool

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Harris Bothers, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Harris Bothers

Harris Bothers LawnSite Member

We are a start up Company trying to price a local private pool that is located on 1.5 to 2 acres of land. The Pool/Fitness club contains: 2 sand beach volleyball courts, large play area, 2 tennis courts, 2 basketball courts and two large pools. Lots of trimming is needed. The owners of the club do not want grass in the pool,courts, play ground, sand etc. We're not sure how to price this. We want to do it weekly. Could someone please give us a range that we should ask for?

Matt Harris, Harris Brothers Lawn Care
  2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Run for your life!! LOL. Round up is the only way I know of to trim a pool if you dont want clippings in the pool or anything else for the matter. I have a couple of jobs with pools and stuff always flies in the pool when weedeating. Unless of course there is a very aide stretch between the edge and the pool. On the other question you need to measure the weedeating feet and the ground area and then ask the question.
  3. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

My lovely wife had a great idea! (She's also sitting right here ;) )
    Take a large tarp or piece of plastic, lay it over the pool, weigh it down, do your business, roll it off, and you're good to go.
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

on open pools (with no screening) we run a guy with a blower to help the guy weed wacking ....by blowing against the clipping .....some still get thru ....but is much cleaner

on the bidding ......if you had a job to do and you knew it will take you .....so many minutes to do this part of job .....so many to do that one etc....added em up and charge by your hourly rate ....

when bidding ....bid with what you have ....if you have 36's or 42's it will take more time than with a 60" .... either way bidding is NO science ....there will be mistakes ....trick is to learn by em ....good luck ;->
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

What if it is an olympic size pool?
  6. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

7. i would say that if there is a pathway of some form between the grass and the pool, use a push mower if that will work. if not what you are gonna have to do is trim with the string trimmer, and purchase a pool cleaner thing. before you start trimming have another crew member grab the pool cleaner and have him follow right behind you skimming the grass from the pool.

WILSON BROS. LawnSite Member

Have encountered much of the same problems on some of our accounts. All of it takes time and a little more effort our our part, so we charge accordingly. When the duties increase so does the price. Bagging and a pool skimmer seem to work the best for us.
  9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Funny thing them pools..............seems like the wind always blows the wrong way. When trimming the grass be sure that the debris is being kicked back into the grass not on the concrete, use the other brother to do the blower thing. You'll always get something in it no matter how hard you try.

As for pricing..............live and learn...........I'm still paying for my education!:(
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

some how, some way, your going to get burned on this.