How to price commercial installs???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by New2TheGreenIndustry, Mar 3, 2014.

1. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

I bid residential installs at retail cost on plants plus about $5 per gallon container. Though, I don't think that is going to work on a larger commercial project. I have the opportunity to bid on a project with 18k sq ft sod, over 600 #3 gallon plants and over 100 #15 plants. Unknown variables aside, how would you begin to price that one?

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Correct your residential pricing first, you're losing money on every plant you install
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. New2TheGreenIndustry

from GA

Really? So for a #3 plant I pay $8-10 bucks and sell it to the customer for $30 installed, and I'm too low? What's your method?

4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Same way that you price anything. Costs+overhead+profit=price.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. No your not too low. That's crazy that it costs 8-10 for 3 gallon material. Most of our stuff is 4-5...
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have bid large complex jobs. Win some, lost more. Last job we lost by $26k, that amount didn't even cover my cost for plant material and I own my own nursery. The crew that got it needed the work, low balled the bid the bid to get the work and yes I have looked, everything according to plan, looks great but with the guarantee of work, nursery stock, etc there losing money. Good luck.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

OP price it so you make money. Why ask on here?

8. New2TheGreenIndustry

from GA

I guess with residential I mark up the plants to retail, and didn't know if thats something people do with commercial jobs with plant volume in the hundreds.

9. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

So did you bid the project?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

3 gal over here retail start at $12 and most 18.95!