1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How To Price Dethatching & Core Aeriation

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Luke Landscaper, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Luke Landscaper

Luke Landscaper LawnSite Member

I have only been in business for a year and this year I have customers that want their yards dethatched and core aerated. I have no idea how to give them a price quote for this. Can anyone give me some advice? I will be renting my Power Rake, I now own a core plug aerator if that helps anybody. I really hope somebody replies to this thread as I need help.
  2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

If you have an hrly rate go with that. Be sure to get your rental fee and if you can do all the yards in one day. I know around here you rent by day or half day. I hope this helps; sometimes when I have extra work for a customer the hrly rate seems to work well.
  3. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Also keep your rental receipt; Tax write off:rolleyes:
  4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

2 to 3 times the mowing rate. depends on the terrain.
  5. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I aerate at $15 per 1,000 sq ft and I dethatch and remove the debris for $30 per 1,000 sq ft...I will not charge hourly for these services

Also I have a 5,000 sq ft minimum
  6. Luke Landscaper

Luke Landscaper LawnSite Member

Thanks. I like the idea of the square footage. Most of my accounts are a yearly set price and almost all my jobs are like this. I really have no idea on what my hourly rate should be for jobs like this. Thanks for the help guys!!!
  7. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

For dethatching i charge .006 cents per sq ft and if i dethatch and clean up its .012 cents per sq ft. So for a 10,000 sq ft lawn if i do the clean up and that includes disposal it comes to $120.00:waving:
  8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Sell other services with aeration. Around here the going rate is $35-50/msf for seeding, starter fert and aeration.
  9. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

If you are going to dethatch sell overseeding with it, you will end up creating bare spots for the weeds to fill in. I would try to sell up the aeration first, you get more benefits, air and nutrients reach the root zone to promote root growth, and this o2 stimulates the microbes in the soil which will help to break down the thatch, it will also be cheaper for them, depending, I get about $17 per 1000k aerating, and 3 to 5 times the cut rate for dethatching, depending on hills and thatch layer.
  10. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

If the yard is in bad shape in the thatch area, dethatch first and then aerate and overseed with a good fertlizer. Then, sell the customers on proper maintanence and aeration once a year and you wont have to worry about dethatching again. Dethatching is not somthing that ever should have to be done if the lawn is healthy and maintained properly. I get min. of $200 for dethatching and picking up debris and aeration begins at $125. Most aerations take about 35-50 minutes so its good money and these processes can really improve customers yards if done right.