1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how to price for edging

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by cobia, Sep 9, 2006.

1. cobia

cobia LawnSite Member

how do you price for edging bed driveways patio walkways ect??? any input would help.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

85 cents/foot for existing areas like sidewalks, driveways and $1.25 for new mulch beds, gardens, etc.
  3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I just use my hourly rate as a basis.........
  4. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

downhere edging is included it my weekly lawn maintenance.
  5. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Charge and hourly rate. Check closely though when you bid edging. If the lawn hasn't been edged ina while along sidewalks and is way overgrown like 6+ inches or more, it takes time to dig out the overgrowth.
  6. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

After a while, learn and figure how long it will take you. The reason I say this, is because for sidewalk and curb edging, there is no magic formula. Sometimes when you go in for the initial edge, you can be taking 1/2" width off by 1/2" thick. Other times, you can be taking off 2" that is 1" thick. Some just have much more cleanup than others. Now, for normal upkeep, we usually charge around $20 a month (for a standard subdivision lot - around 200 linear ft.), and it is done atleast every other week. Of course, it only takes about 2 minutes with a stickedger, and there is really no cleanup involved.
    Now,....this begs the question....@ 85 cents a foot, who on Gods green earth is going to spend $170 for edging their curb and driveway???
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

People that ask for it...it's not like you have to do it every week you are there.
  9. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

the first time you edge a sidewalk you should charge .75 to 1.25 foot if its a mow customer to maintain charge him an extra 5 bucks if its a one time thing why under bid it. i don't like working for free.-