How to price hedge & shrub trimming?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GG Green, May 10, 2007.

1. GG Green

GG Green LawnSite Member

How do you guys price for trimming individual shrubs and hedges that form a green privacy fence? Is there a formula or a way to charge a customer?

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

dont kno any formula..... I look at them at a time issue and a haul/dump cost.
    last week I got 200.00 for a line of hedges. they were lineing a driveway and very out of control. took me and my helper about 2 hrs...then we had to haul off the clippings....I was thinking I screwed myself.. I had to pay 10.00 to dump

3. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

yea...i just charged 450 for a job probably about the same....it took me and the helper an hour and a half but we both had a hedge trimmer and went to town...there was a lot of stuff to haul but luckily i have an agreement with a farmer to bring all of my clippings to him so he can have a compost pile....i still charge a haul/dump fee though because i have to drive there and all the labor to unload the trailer....i like my agreement

4. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

I don't have a formula for shrubs, but I charge by the hour. Usually from $60.00 to $75.00 per man hour. I don't haul off anything, but I bag it and leave it on the curb for the debris guy. I do all of this while on the clock.

If it takes me 1.5 hours to do the trimming and another hour to clean-up, I round it up to the nearest hour. I do rake and bag the clippings when I am finished to leave a clean look.

On some properties, you can get away with blowing the clippings back under the hedges, those are nice if you can get away with it. These customers use the leaves for mulch anyway.

5. MacLawns

MacLawns LawnSite Member

for small shrubs(under shoulder height)I charge $6-$8 a shrub. over that height i count them as double. for long rows I count every five feet as 1, again if over shoulder height count as two. I have found that this constantly gives me $60/hr on job.
    p.s. In mulched areas i collect using drop cloths and non mulched areas I use mower to mulch up shrub clippings.

6. TheTennant

TheTennant LawnSite Member

My land lord wants me to do the hedges and they are way out of control and quite a few of them. He asked me how much he should credit my rent to do so and I haven't the faintest clue...can I get some help here?

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i use an hourly rate and i add in a dump fee

8. Georgia Lawn Works LLC

Georgia Lawn Works LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I charge my normal rate of 55 an hour with a 15 minute minimum
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Charge you normal rate plus any PITA factor and haul off fees. I would add extra if I had to be on a ladder much. I do like McLawns way of calculating how to do this.

10. Columbia Care

Columbia Care LawnSite Member

I calculate the way McLawns does. Shrubs under 2 feet are $4, 2 to 4 ft are $6, 4 to 8 ft are $10, over 8 ft tall starts at $12 and goes up depending on the height. HAull off is $25 per load plus dump fees.