1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How to price hedge & shrub trimming?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GG Green, May 10, 2007.

1. adblackett

adblackett LawnSite Member

Wow, I had a similar job this week. I charged $200 and it took me 12 hours, no power tools at all, no helpers. That's the last time I bid a hedge job, at least without the right tools. I'm just starting out and can't afford any new equipment. Eventually I'll get up to snuff but for now, just hand tools, and muscle.

2. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i know this is an old thread, but wondering how some of you bid hedge trimming these days?

I don't do contracts now i just price everything by the job. I shoot for $50.00 an hour plus dump fee of $30.00. I try to arrange to dump clippings in woods or leave for trash pick-up when possible so i can leave a cheaper price. I did one hedge trimming job last week, 3.5 hours trimming/clean-up/removal $175.00. they haven't paid yet, its been a week but i have a feeling they are gonna make a big deal about the $175.00 even though its what i told them at the start.

3. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

generally if you dont know how long it will take you price job hourly rate X estimate hours + 25%. remember all the things like dump, clean up, etc...
    usually best to give customer total price not hourly price.

4. jonniebud

jonniebud LawnSite Member

i usually figure the time and add 20percent

5. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

$85 per hr+hauling debris away. Ifs its a lot of trimming, (I learned the hard way) its better to charge by the hour vs a fixed price.

6. West Texas Oasis

West Texas Oasis LawnSite Member

Hard to take advice for pricing on a website. If I charged some of the prices I hear on this site I wouldn't get ANY business. Prices vary depending on your economy. An average middle class lot around here is 1/4 acre or smaller.. and the lawn business is fierce. Mow job is typically $30-$35 on 1/4 acre... and a typical amount of shrubs would be another $20. It varies of course. I'm in west Texas.. and this market isn't even close to the rest of the country. We are also 95% bermuda grass and 5% fescue. We are in an extreme drought, last year we had over 90 days of 100+ degree temperatures and watering your yard is limited to 1 day a week with sprinklers from 6pm to 10am, enforced with fines..or you can hand water anytime. each house has an assigned watering day according to the last number of their address. Easy for them to check if your watering on the correct day.. if not.. they hit you with a fine. Also, your water bill is tiered into gallons of use.. if you break into the next tier by using to much water.. you pay alot extra per gallon.

What were we talking about again? oh ya... shrubs... =)

7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Hedges are about 30' an hour including clean up. So figure out the time then apply your hourly rate.

8. SEB

SEB LawnSite Member

Im with you brother! Im in East Texas Dallas area & I charge right at $40 to the front of a house & prolly $60 if their out of control & I always charge half of the cost to trim for haul off. So if its $40 in hedge trimming. Its $20 to haul off clippings. But I most of the time charge $10 & sometimes even free

9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a Shrub trimming Formula book tells size and what to charge

10. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

We just charge by the hour plus dump fees, I quote by the job though, most people don't get the hourly rate thing for some reason, they just can't understand that it all isn't going in your pocket.