How To Price Leaves

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Duke9590, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Duke9590

Duke9590 LawnSite Member

Im still alittle new to the business, and im wondering the best way to price leave removal.

2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

hourly do not bid work. tell them a minium only.

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Bid em high,or you will go broke......

4. ScoWa71

ScoWa71 LawnSite Member

I just bid on some leaf removal last week, the couple that called me wanted me to come out multiple times. So I bid the job out over a month of service at 130 buck, my first visit will be the higher priced visit then decrease as I go. After the fourth visit I just stated to them a per visit price. They seemed very happy with the bid.

5. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

what??? you have me totaly lost. I do them just like frue says hourly with a minimium, way to many variables in leaves to give a set price.

6. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I say this:

"$250 minimum, yours will cost between $300 and $400 (or whatever is realistic)."

Most people are good with that. For customers who got a cleanup last year, I charge the same, or maybe $25 more.

7. Duke9590

Duke9590 LawnSite Member

So if its a one time job then i should just bid high, and if its over a period of time then everytime i do the job i should lower the price.

8. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

No you should bid high because you will look at 2 oak trees and a small yard and think sure $130 will be fine even if it takes a little longer. Ill just bring my friend for $8/HR and Ill make even more cause we can do 2 today.

Well after hour 6 and a pile still 5 feet tall you will have wished you bid hourly. There are always far more leaves than you think. The otherside of the story is when the wind blows all the neighbors leaves into the yard you are doing.

Hourly is the way to go, and if they mention that they can get a fixed price walk away. There is a guy around here with an ad for $95 cleanup any size. I was thinking of subbing him out and taking the first 2 weeks off. By week 3 he'll be out of business and Ill finish the rest. Seriously I have 2 acre lots that pull 5 yards tops and take 2 hours, and I have 1/4 acre lots that pull 50 yards and take 20+ hours. Thing is that every year is different. Last years price means very little. Now if you have several years records you could get a better idea. Its a lot like snow removal.

9. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

Your hourly rate x how ever long it takes you plus disposal fees! If they ask for a round about figure then give them one, but let them know that the price may go up if it takes longer. Let them know it's an ESTIMATE!!!!!!!!! Not the set price!

10. LBLC_LCO

LBLC_LCO LawnSite Senior Member

Do you tell the customer the actual hourly price?

Or, do you keep that to yourself and figure how many hours to charge?

What do ya'll like to get per hour for this work? I know it will vary depending on equip used.