how to price out lawns/ect.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fraz001, Sep 23, 2003.

1. fraz001

fraz001 LawnSite Member

3. I GET 25.00 A MAN HR. IS THIS TO HI OR LOW??

2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

all ill say is way to low.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

step #1=get calculator, figure out how much per hr it costs u to operate, when you are done scratching your head, do the math again, yes, it came out right the first time. step #2=stop crying, figure out a way to lower your costs, and then charge accordingly. at $25 an hour you will be gone, or homeless, in 4 months. i try to get at least $60 an hour to mow. sometimes its $100 an hour, other times its $45 an hour, just as long as it averages out to $60, im ok. but mowing alone wont do it. add higher value things that can be done at the same time as mowing ex: applications
  4. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

definitely do some reading, then do some adding to your prices.
    Once you actually get into what it REALLY takes to run a business, you will see the need to be charging $50-$60.
    Hidden items people don't see initially, like insurance, maintenance of equipment and vehicles, drive time, etc.
    it's all a learning process, but I would recommend going a bit higher.
    We try to stay close to $50, but will price what the market will bear if we know differently!
    Good luck
  5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

When you guys are talking 50-60-70 dollars an hour, are you talking man hours or man/machine hours?
    What is the net man hour cost?
  6. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I charge a min. of $65.00 per man hour If that helps. Not very many lawns take an hour to mow most lawns 20 to 30 min. most lawns I charge $35.00 and that includes Cut, Trim, and Blow, and edge
  7. fraz001

fraz001 LawnSite Member

thinks 4 the help ,mowing i get 60.00 per hr
    but most are 30mi or lest 30.00 to 35.00
    what i get 25.00 per man hr is cleanups or edging cutting new beds. how to gest how long it going to take???
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

One word.....expierence!

You just have to live and learn.....that's just the way it is. You will lose some and win some.

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Something that has always baffled me since I've been at this site, is how almost everyone on here, from the east coast to the west coast, and everywhere in between, always falls back to the " $50 to $60 an hour load of crap" when talking about mowing. Why does everyone fall for this when pricing talk comes up? Why? Yet everything else with equipment costs and insurance costs and all the other overhead costs are worlds apart from area to area. Just in the short three years I've been in business my costs have changed so dramatically that it's some-days unbelievable. If the only advice I would have ever stuck with would have been the talk of " $50 to $60 an hour", I'd be up a creek. And that doesn't necessarily mean I need or get more than that per hour, many variables in every job you do or quote. If you can't figure out what your per hour costs are and then add a profit percent, you shouldn't be trying to run a business. Because it simply means you have no idea what you are doing or where you should be going. I'm all for this site and the information that gets shared about many things, but for someone to rely on others information about the financial end of the business is going to be a sure way for you to take a trip down bankruptcy boulevard. Anyone that finds this offensive to them surely has no idea how to run a business. The most important thing anyone can do is to learn the numbers end of the business. The problem is, nobody wants to, or puts forth nearly the amount of effort as they do when they go purchase a stupid lawn mower and then proceed to talk about it for weeks on end in pointless discussions to someone ten states away. Maybe, they should be enrolling in a small business seminar or night classes at a tech school. I guess that's what separates the business owners from the wannabes. God knows I have a lot to learn myself, but I'm doing something about it besides just taking someone elses advice and then trying to apply it to my certain and specific criteria.

Besides, the last industry trade magazine survey by landscape companies across the country, put the average hourly mowing at about $37 an hour, and that's what companies were charging per man hour, whether it be trimming or mowing or whatever.

And P.S., I could really care less who is offended by my comments, so don't bother bashing back at me, it'll just back my theory even more. If a person want's to succeed at a business, it is solely their responsibility to educate themselves on how to do so, not ask someone else.
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

That was an excellent post. True...what one company needs per hour might be totally different than what the other needs. It all comes down to YOUR cost. Here in the last couple of weeks I have been doing some serious job costing.....carry a pen and paper with me at every job....writing down drive time to job, time spent on edger, trimmer, mower, aerator, overseeder, dethatcher, blower, material used, how many hours can you get on a tank of get my point. People see what they can make in an hour, but what very many don't see is what that hour cost you. Then there are the other overhead items like insurance and advertising.