1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How To Price Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sweet Tater, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

First, thank you for any information.
    This is my first year doing lawn service. I use a 96 Dodge 1500, 6x10 trailor, Xmark Lazer Z 48", Misc Push mower, Tractor Supply backpack blower, unkown weed trimmer and a Weed Eater edger. I now have 7 yards and need/want more. My problem is knowing how to price. The area I live is mostly small country towns so yards tend to be large (an acre or more) yes this is the "kept" yard. I way under priced one, almost 1.5 acres at $45 and started catching on. But is there a formula per sq ft or something that would make it easier to figure. I have been told not to unload for less than $35 and also to charge $50 per hr. though this sounds high. Any comments?
  2. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

Figure out your overhead, i.e. Insurance costs, car payments/equipment payment, Estimated fuel costs and repair/maintenance costs as well as taxes, fee's etc, for the year. divide by how many average weeks of cutting you have a year, and how many hours you expect to be cutting a week. BE REALASTIC!. this will give you your BASE cost. remember ALWAYS round up. Anyways, that's the amount you charge per hour just to break even. After that, its up to you to figure out what your profit will be in relation to the market tendencies and the quality of work you do. There is also the $1/min mowing time, but i think, if you average that out over the day, both methods come out about the same, depending upon variables of course.
  3. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Thank you, Everything is paid for so I am debt free. I am still trying to figure operating cost for my XMARK laser z 48". The $1 min sounds good but a tad high for my area I think. I tried $50 an hour (adjusted for ease or diffuculty of yard) and the coule I told that went elsewhere:confused:

"If a man will not work, neither shall he eat."
    2 Thess 3:10
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

if your working solo, there is a fine line in prices, a solo guy may have to charge a little higher that a crew simply because of time.

If it takes you 1 hr to service a lawn, 2 guys can get it done is almost 1/2 that time, so 3 guys should be able to cut it down to 15 minutes or so.

If u were the customer and seen 3 guys show up and spend 15 minutes on your lawn and charge you 50.00, you would scream.

Good luck