1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to price small lawn biz?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BAMARED, Jul 31, 2004.

BAMARED LawnSite Member

I have a small (14 customers) part time lawn care biz. that I'm considering selling. Could someone offer me some advice on how much $ to sell it for? I'm talking about: should I sell it for a certain % of the yearly income that it produces or ????

I've had these customers for the last 5 seasons and most have become friends of mine. But due to "other" reasons, I've have been thinking of getting out of it next season. I just need a little guidance on how I should do it and what kind of $ to ask for it.

2. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

Where are you in alabama?
  3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

going rate in Florida is 3x monthly income as a top end price, plus equipment.
  4. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

Call local accountants and find one with a CVA. They are experts on valuing a business, sure it will cost some money but will tell you what its worth.
  5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

How can you put a value on the customers. someone could pay 3 x the monthly income, and the customers all drop you. I would suggest selling the equipment, and contracting with the new owner a percentage of your old clients income. IE if you get 300 a month, he would pay 30 percent for a few months unless they drop.

BAMARED LawnSite Member

This is about what I was thinking. But I wonder what the "bottom" would be?

7. Lakeside

Lakeside LawnSite Member

i just bought out a company. i wanted something that would cover me incase the clients dropped me. i payed 3.33% of the yearly revenue for each client up front. then, october 1, i'll pay 3.33% of the yearly income from all the remaining clients that i initially paid for. then march 1, i'll pay 3.33% again for all that renew...

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Hum. That's interesting. I've never heard of doing it this way before.

Thanks for you input,

9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

it is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it! it would seem such a small business would be less valuable than a larger one!
  10. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

You still never said where you live in Alabama. I may be interested.