1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How to price sod install?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by recycledsole, Feb 7, 2013.

1. sodworksllc

sodworksllc LawnSite Member

obviously i'm not making myself clear enough or something but I do not cut corners. At the end of the day, either way you look at it I end up with a loose 5-6 inch layer of nutrient full, loose topsoil before the sod is installed. I have better things to do then sit on this forum and have a useless argument. have a good day

2. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

Question?? What is the minimum number of acres that a turf farm could work off of. I guess it would depend on what equipment you had to deal with?

3. MasScape

MasScape LawnSite Senior Member

haha, you know if you went about it different way you would of gotten better results. Even the biggest install in PA doesn't know it all. (sorry I am going to take shots because you opened yourself up to it with all the gloating comments). You have are right but I said many times. You can get decent results but its not the best way to do it. Diffinition of cutting corners: taking a easier way of doing something instead of best way.

Anyways since I got you all upset, I will leave you alone. Good luck with those better things.

4. sodworksllc

nobody's upset here my friend. I know what I know and have been doing one thing my entire life. Good luck in the upcoming season.

5. sodworksllc

Hello, are you referring to growing and selling sod? It really just depends on the demand and how many square feet you sell a year. Having a field in seedlings growing for the following year the same time you have full mature sod field waiting to be cut is always ideal.

6. aaronmg

Yeah this is not my specialty at all... but being blessed with land and lots of fields I was just wondering about being a lawn care co. And incorporating it into my business as opposed to buying sod off the other guys....

7. sodworksllc

Yeah thats great. Where are you located? Having good topsoil is very important too. Its definitely a full time thing, even starting out with 50 acres mowing that once or sometimes twice a week is time time time. the main question is do you have all the equipment- sod harvester, forklift to load, tractors to fertilize and to do your soil prep in the first place, etc....

8. sodworksllc

Being able to invest lots of money is obviously very important as well- knowing from the day you plant you have a minimum of at least 12 months sometimes longer until its mature enough to harvest

9. aaronmg

I don't have any of that equipment!! And I'm not pursuing a big time operation of sod farming or small time. Just gathering information in my head,as small as it is....

10. sodworksllc

Rite, it can get a little difficult but is a great industry. but good luck to you if you have any questions feel free to ask