how to price this?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Gilgamesh, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh LawnSite Member

I have a customer with 20 trees. They vary in size (drip ring 3-7 ft. in daiameter) and need to be edged and mulched. How should I price? I was planning to charge $30 / tree x 20 trees = $600. This number includes mulch. Am I in the neighborhood?

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Few questions...

1. Do the trees already have mulch rings around them?
    1a. If they don't are you responsible for hauling the material away?
    2. What type of mulch?
    3. By edging do you mean mulch to turf or installing landscape edging?
    4. What is the actualy sqft of the trees rings?

Few assumptions....

20 trees with 6' diameter rings already installed. Hardwood mulch installed at a depth of 2" and rings re-edged.

Area = pi*r*2 => 28sqft...@2" depth that's 4.6cuft or a total of 94cuft or 3.5yds...assume 4yds mulch.

Circumference = pi*d => 19lf per tree ring @ 20 rings thats 380 lineal feet of re-edging.

Without seeing the job and making some major assumptions, I'd charge 65 per yard mulch and $0.50 per lineal foot of edging. Therefore, $190 for edging and $260 for mulch. B/c of such a small job I'd charge to make up for fuel costs and the like. So between 500-600 for above assumptions seem pretty good.

Although if those trees aren't mulched yet and you need to remove turf/etc. from underneath trees and create the edge I would guestimate about 1k off the top of my head.
    You will get different opinions.

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh LawnSite Member

You may be psychic! Your assumptions were right on. The house is <10 yrs. old and most of the landscape hasn't been touched since. I expect to have a lot of work from this property. Thanks for the advice!