1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to Price Yard Cut vs. Leaf Removals

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hunterhoff1, Aug 16, 2012.

1. hunterhoff1

hunterhoff1 LawnSite Member

I was wondering how yall did your pricing. I know it varies on size and other variables

BROWNS LAWN CARE LawnSite Senior Member

i will be trying to get some fall cleanup (leaves) work and am curious about pricing on that also...

@hunterhoff1, as far as pricing mowing i charge according to yard size and length of grass. it's kinda hard to put in words, but it works out to $30-$40 an hour. so try to gauge the length of time it will take you. if the yard looks like a jungle i add $15-$20...
  3. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

IMO there is no connection between the price of a cut and the price of leaf removal. I have a $45 cut that I mulch leaves week to week. and a $45 cut a that gets a $400 - $500 bill for clean up.
  4. TinMan1

TinMan1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SC

Our landfill charges $14 a ton so that needs to be factored in + the gas travel time for us because its 30mi away
  5. Set Apart Lawn Care

Set Apart Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Someone told me a few years back when I started leaf removal to charge 3-4 times what I charge for lawn service. TERRIBLE ADVICE!! I made no money my first year because of that. Leaf removals depend on how many trees, what type of tree because bigger leaves blow easier than thinner leaves. Also how often they want it done, once a year, once a month, every week, etc. I haven't found a rule of thumb for leaf removal as far as bidding, I estimate the time it will take and typically charge $45 per man hour and include the time and cost it will take to dispose of the leaves.
  6. MidwestTurfInc

MidwestTurfInc LawnSite Member

It all comes down to time. Depending on your equipment sometimes smaller lawns cost more than larger lawns. At the end of the day I need to make a certain dollar because my overhead doesnt really vary day to day. If you have lawn sweepers or mowers with baggers the large areas of grass can be the easy part. I generally charge around 60$ per man hour because I bring multiple trucks some having vac systems and the amount in diesel and cost of dumping those loads affects profit.

Then again if your a smaller company and are using leaf blowers and tarps and dragging them into the bed of a truck dont sell yourself short. Some people like the hand done job and for how hard of work it can be there needs to be a buffer in profit as its harder to work longer days.
  7. chuacro

chuacro LawnSite Senior Member

If I show up with a 3 man crew and it takes 2 hours would that be $120 bill?

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

just so you understand, that is $20 per man hour.
    not enough for a business by a longshot.

I would guess an avg would be $40 per man hour, plus fees(dumping etc)

so you should be charging 3x2 $40 = $240 plus dumping fees $50(just an example)
    plus tax
    $290 plus tax

just an example
  9. petscanning

petscanning LawnSite Senior Member

I charge $35 a man hour and a min 2 hour then a disposal fee. Try not to quote the whole job b/c you will get burned I have learned. Almost 3 times more leaves than what you think are there guarantee. Thats for leaves
  10. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

the way I do leaves on a weekly basis I spend maybe 15-20 min more per property. just like if I were bagging clippings in the spring.

so for me there IS a connection between price per cut and leaf removal. I charge accordingly for that extra 15-20 min.