How to proctect trailer floor

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kswaney, Dec 27, 2008.

1. kswaney

kswaney LawnSite Member

any suggestions on how to protect the wood floor of my open landscape trailer. Ive heard of using thompson water seal, herculiner, non-skid paint from lowes...anyone used any of these, results? thanks

2. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard of people going to Line-X or Rhino-Lining, or a place similar that does spray in bed liners, they can spray just about anything.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Dont use a tractor and box blade to drag dirt or rock off of it. I've found...I mean, I've heard that's hard on things.:hammerhead::laugh:

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I left my cutter wheel running on my stumpgrinder one time and it scratched the wood a little bit. Not sure if linex would have helped prevent that or not.......:nono::nono::nono::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

5. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, I thought he was asking for ways to protect the wood floor from deterioration, not damage from idiotic mistakes!:hammerhead:

6. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

muddstopper im thinking linex wouldnt have helped you much on that one :rolleyes: :hammerhead: I orderd my trailer with a treated floor but from the day i got it every year i put some deck sealer stuff. I went to the local lowes and asked for the best stuff to protect against wear and uv and a guy pointed me toward some stuff. Its not clear like a stain its almost like a paint but you can see the wood through it when it dries. Every year i power wash the trailer and put a new coat on it. The floor looks as good as new and probably has 6 or 7 coats thick on it now. I can get the name off the can in the shop if you want it.

7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Herculiner is junk, don't waste your time or money. I used a garage floor paint. I put down 1 coat, let it dry. Put on a second coat, then while that was wet, I scattered sand lightly over the deck, let it dry, swept it off, then did a 3rd coat. I just did it last winter, but so far, it has held up great, and is not slippery when wet.

8. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

i just soaked mine down with thompson's an clean and reapply in about two year's if you soaked it good !:usflag:

9. qualitylawnpro

qualitylawnpro LawnSite Senior Member

Ive heard of people spraying them down with diesel fuel.

10. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

That is what I do. A $10 dollar pump sprayer and a gallon goes a long way. I spray the deck and the underside twice a year. Diesel protects things and keeps metal from rusting. Think of it like Flud flim on steroides. I also spray all the trucks undersides down just before the winter and after an underside washing. Some trucks are 5 years old, used in winter snow removal, and show NO RUST!!!