How to profit from Lowballers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Pallas, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

These damm lowballers are really screwing the market up around here. I've seen written price quotes that were as low as what I was charging 25 years ago when I graduated High School and was working out of the back of a Buick!!!!
    I figure I'll just close up shop and go into the mechanic/repair business for a while - fixing all their crappy equipment when it goes down. I'll be more than happy to stick it to 'em for a high repair bill. Nothing would make me happier (except to see them disapear).
    Hey - if I can't compete with 'em I might as well profit from them someway.

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, good luck collecting from these loosers.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

If you do that, you can bet there will be a "lowball" repair shop that opens up down the block from you.:mad:

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

MOW ED, nailed it on the head. People are doing this in every line of work. It is not only affecting the lawn care industry.

Gravely_Man

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, and I think we will see alot more of it this year. :cool:

6. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah - I know, my original post was tongue in cheek. I wasn't really serious. These scrubs couldn't afford to have me fix they're stuff anyway (plus I'd have a real hard time convincing myself NOT to put a little sand in their crankcases - just kidding again!)

7. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I've seriously thought about learning small engine repair, when I watched a mechanic clean out a carb in about 5 minutes. I sure can't make $40 in 5 minutes!

8. michigangrass

michigangrass LawnSite Member

I'm out near Jason...just a week ago when passing out flyers in a new sub division I browsed at a couple of the competitors flyers...$15 for an obvious $30 job...free front yard aeration.

Just have to try to wait them out...its like farmers waiting out a drought...not sure how long it will take, but eventually they'll pass.

You've gotta to think that sooner or later its going to dawn on these guys that they're busting thier butts for peanuts.

I do believe that its the ecomomy...a number of these guys have been laid off or just graduated and are desparate for income. Inexperience and lack of knowledge makes them even more desparate. They haven't realized yet that lowballing can actually be costing them...they've never sat down to go over the numbers.

If they only knew that if they didn't lowball they could still be somewhat competetive and still make a decent paycheck until the ecomomy turned around.

Remember, work smart not hard...if you have the drive to get out there to hustle up some customers start a little higher and be confident when quoting...you'd be surprised at the results. There are customers out there that are willing to pay going rates but are looking to get away from thier current "hack".

Quality and good service=$$...customers shopping lowballers will drop you next year for another.

It inevitable, competition will continue to grow year after year. If sites such as this can help educate "newbies" it may help stabalize prices within the market. (I wouldn't hold my breath on that for too long though).

9. Jarrells74

Jarrells74 LawnSite Member

I really don't think this site is helping people charge the going rate. It just helps scrubs with their questions they would come up with while on the job. It helps them get the info that most of the people on here had to work hard to gain from experience. I can imagine that if someone was thinking of getting into this line of work, this site would be their main resource of info. After reading on this site they would get convinced to start out, because they would be able to ask questions from the pros, then turn around and talk to their customers like THEY are the pros.

10. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

It is not always worth getting customers that are only looking at price. They won't care about the quality of the work and sometimes tend to be late payers.