1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to properly do Weed removal of Flower beds

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by emt144, Mar 19, 2005.

1. emt144

emt144 LawnSite Member

Hi, I just took a job at the local senior citizens assisted living. They want just general lawn service and weed removal of their flower beds. They only have 3 or 4 small beds. I have never used weed killer and am looking for ideas or products to do this with. What I had in mind would be to just buy one of those 30 dollar pump sprayers and buy the stuff to mix in it with. Would this work? I just dont want to screw up and kill all of their flowers and recieve a big bill.

Thank You
  2. cuthis

cuthis LawnSite Member

whooooa buddy, i would buy a basic gardening for dummies book before you you go any further. Weed killer in a bed that you want to grow plants in is an NO NO NO NO NO. Get a scuffle hoe and start pulling, but really you should try to learn a bit more about what you are providing before you sell it.

good luck man, you're going to need it
  3. Bushwhacked

Bushwhacked LawnSite Member

Hoe, pull and something like PREEN which is for weed control (after you've removed current weeds) in flower beds, should work but is not weed proof by any means.
  4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Isn't anyone going to tell him that he needs to be certified? Check your local laws. Talk to your county agent.
  5. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Yea, what Crawdad said!
  6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

pull the weeds and put some pre emergence out
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

:dizzy: spray weed killer????????

pull the weeds man.......and maintain it
  8. Bushwhacked

Bushwhacked LawnSite Member

No, I knew someone would come along with that info, they always do, but in the meantime he has the info he needs regarding the question that he asked.
    Which is don't be sprayin weed killer in the flower beds. Sounded to me like he was an Employee at the Living Center ......?
  9. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

This year I'm applying treflan to my customers landscape beds to control seed germination. I'll follow up with a spot spray application with razor pro. Apply the treflan 3 times per season. There are a lot of pre-emergents out there to use. From what I gather, snapshot is one of the better products controlling a broader amount of weeds, but you pay for it.
  10. lazerslicer05

lazerslicer05 LawnSite Member

Pull the weeds that are there when u get there then get some preen for flower beds and i would say put some down every four to five weeks. This will not take care of all the weeds but will save you hours pf additional weed pulling.