How to properly overseed my lawn?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dstew_mo, Jun 16, 2004.

1. dstew_mo

dstew_mo LawnSite Member

Do I need to aerate my lawn before I overseed? I currently have KBG, what would be a good seed to use? As you can see, I am very new to this. Do I overseed now or at the end of the year?

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

If your lawn is patchy..
    1. aerate
    2. dethatch to break up the surface
    3. overseed
    4. lightly rake seed into the soil
    5. water, water, water

This time of year I would suggest applying a seed starter fertilizer with tupersan/siduron. The watering should concentrate on frequency not duration. 4-5 times per day 10 minutes per watering.

3. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

Do what sodking posted above, but I would wait until the last week of August or the first week of September. You are getting ready to go thru the hottest part of the year right now, and this is not the time to try to "grow" new grass. It will take some work to keep your exsisting grass healthy, let alone new. Plus, you wont have a lot of competition from weeds in late summer/early fall.

4. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

What is a good overseeding rate per 1000 s.f. for Kentucky Blue Grass and Perenial Rye Grass

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

kentucky blue- depends on how thin the grass is, 2lbs per 1000 typically does a good job on a week lawn. perenial rye anywhere up to 4lbs per 1000; but like i said it all depends on how thin the lawn is. sometimes over seeding isn't needed, just the aeration and 2lbs of urea does the same thing. if you do decide to over seed cut the lawn to bout 2''s it will help some.