How to properly raise engine RPM

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Picture Perfect Landscape, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Picture Perfect Landscape

Picture Perfect Landscape LawnSite Member

I had mad a previous thread more dealing with doubles and rpm but nonetheless, it was going the wrong direction and I was getting the wrong anwers.

I need to know how to properly raise engine RPM. I am not trying to over rev the engine or anything. I just want it set where its supposed to.

I have a FH580V KAI (Kawasaki 19HP) on a LESCO Commercial Plus Hydro Floating deck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, there is nothing to be adjusted in the throttle cable. Nothing left to pull.

2. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Look under the front of the carb. The linkage goes into a plate that is held in place with 2 metric head bolts. They will have slotted holes loosen the bolts and tilt the bracket to one side or the other. Thats the way I have done it on 23, and 15 hp Kaws. Then retighten after achieving the desired RPMs.

3. Picture Perfect Landscape

tried that no worky...

4. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

You must be up against the governer or something . Sorry.

5. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

try posting over in the mechanic's forum - you'll find what you need there to do it.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

For starters run synthetic oil.
    Then try running a double platinum plug and premium fuel.

That's for starters, besides you need to, if that thing seizes on you any mods you make beyond that voids the warranty.
    I don't push engines that aren't running synth and premium.
    So first get some proper parts and fluids.

Who knows, it might actually fix the problem, either way that's the start.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Did you pin the throttle lever as in step one when you tried to adjust ?

[​IMG]

If so make sure you don't have too much throttle cable housing slid into the holding clamp reducing the amount of pull on the lever.

If you did pin the lever and the cable housing is adjusted properly check the governor lever shaft and carb throttle shaft for binding.

If both these check OK then replace the governor spring and try adjusting again.

8. Picture Perfect Landscape

Thanks! I'll give it a try again today. I realized I had adjusted the plate before doing some other stuff so maybe it'll work today.

Oh and topsites, I have since retired the double blade idea... back to singles. Cut was better just sliced grass instead of minced!

9. Picture Perfect Landscape

I got it all working perfect no load...

But for some reason when I engage the blades I don't get better than 3150????

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

What no load RPM are you setting it at ?

Have you checked deck spindles/any idler pulleys for binding ? Either of the two could be trying to lock up.