1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to protect my Mower during winter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lildog132, Jan 16, 2004.

1. lildog132

lildog132 LawnSite Member

This has been my first winter with my 1st commerical mower, its a scag 36" and im wondering what you should do to it during the winter so it will start back up in the spring? i've been kind of lazy about doing anything to it yet, hope its not too late. Its about 5 degrees here. I Sorta need any steps their are to doing this, im a newbie. Thanks
  2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Unhook the battery, lube everything, add a fuel stabilizer, and then keep it inside.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If you're worried, take it to your dealer.
  4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep it inside. If you shop is like ours and not large enough for winter storage rent a unit to keep things in the winter months.
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Keep It Warm Make It Feel Loved:D

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I think I see a little drool on that pillow.:D
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I also like to jack my mowers up and put blocks under the frame to get the tires off the floor, had a set a few years ago sit over winter and got flat spots in them, rode like it had square wheels on it, also i let them leak down on air over the winter and it helped to crack the side walls and shorten the life of them
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

9. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

lil dog, be sure you keep the batter in a dry place. off the floor and at a good temp. preferrably inside. (not the garage)
  10. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

In addition to what has already been said, I clean the underside of the deck real good and spray with WD 40 and change oil in crankcase. Oh yea, dont forget to turn off fuel petcocks and run engine till it dies. Sometimes I remove spark plugs and put a few oz of motor oil , replace plugs and slowly turn engine over a couple revolutions to coat cylinder walls.