How to protect trailer for being stolen?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by recycledsole, Nov 14, 2012.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Hey guys,
    if someone lives on a residential street and only has acces to stree parking - no garage - how to protect trailer from being stolen? what is to stop someone from hitching it up to their truck as they drive by?

thanks

2. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

They make a lock for the hitch.

3. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Either pintle or ball there are locks for both, or you can run a cable through the tires and lock it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Breaking in to the trailers was always a much bigger issue than outright stealing one. On the rare occasion I would have trailers at my house, I would put a baby monitor in it. One of my construction sub crews taught me that one and it ended the problems for everyone I've passed that along to.

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Buy the very best locks you can afford for the doors. Heavy chain through both wheels. I like the baby monitor idea too. My shops cameras are on a constant feed to my home and smartphone.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I would get a locking wheel chock like the police use...

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Park them inside...
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

.38 works great!

9. Seems to always have a worker needing a place to stay. So I let him stay in the trailer. Helps us both
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I'd do this in reverse, I'd put the receiver to my 1 YO's monitor in the trailer. Chances are pretty good whenever someone wants to steal the trailer he'll be awake and screaming :laugh: