How to pull up a severly slanted tree?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Jun 9, 2008.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone know how to pull up a 17-20 foot tall purple plum tree if it's knocked almost all over, with root ball bulging the grass up, yet not broken? I can't get my truck behind it cause it's near the back fence in the back yard. Should I just see if I can get 4-5 guys and some strong rope and then stake it? Or could I put a stake or two with eyes in them, run a strong rope through it and use that to pull with my truck from the opposite side ( but would this just pull the stakes out?)? My dad and I planted this tree about 10 years ago or more and I hate to loose it. Also hate to call someone else out and spend hundreds when it's something I can do myself, of with a few buddies.
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Cut it off, then make the ball smaller, then load it......

We have done several this year like this, and I see about 15 to 20 comming up because of high winds....

Good luck
  3. green-pa

Oh, I didn't mean I was trying to "pull it up and out" I mean, that I want to pull it up right so that the ball will go back down and the tree will be straight again. I'm trying to save the tree, not cut it or remove it! Sorry about that.
  4. earls lawns 1

earls lawns 1 LawnSite Member

ok if u have a comealong u can tie the rope to the tree then run your rope through the comealong and jack it straight and then pack the soil back under the ball or a ropejack will work to make sure you tie a rag around the tree where your going to place your rope so u don't damage the cambia layer which is the outside bark of the tree
  5. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

In my experience pulling the tree straight again is the easy part, fixing the problems that led to it falling over is a little trickier. Unless a tree has been through a hurricane or some other big wind event, I can tell you with almost complete certainty that the tree has all kinds of root problems. Either root rot or severly stunted root development from poor drainage, over irrigation, circling roots from not being root pruned at the time of planting, planted too deep (burried root collar), etc.

So what I'm saying is, figure out what the problems are and how you can fix them otherwise you're just prolonging the inevitable.
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

green - I see your from Indy where you got all those HUGE rains lately. Same here, broken record, flood, flood, flood.

At any rate, is that the reason the tree tipped over, soft ground due to rain and combo of wind?

7. green-pa

yes it is. Our back yard is sorta low and when it rains a lot, the back part of it often has very poor drainage which means I can't cut the grass for several days or week later. The tree has been there over 10 years and is now pretty good size. It's a really pretty and healthy looking tree but is down from the soft ground and excess water around. It had been leaning since earlier this spring and I'd meant to stake it soon. Wish I woulda. This latest rain today was just too much for it and it fell almost completely over. BUt like I said, the roots are still in the ground but bulging the grass up a bit. Prince just had a b-day 50! I love mpls.
  8. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what your yard looks like but putting in a drainage system might be something to look at. It would help the yard and the tree. I installed one at my house to drain the back and side yards and it made a huge difference. I had the same problem with standing water and the yard being messed up for a week after a heavy rain. Now it gets back to normal in a couple hours.
  9. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

Purple Plums don't have the best root system, along with what you described the area is like may have to fix the drainage and such first. If you know someone with a tree spade dig it up and replant it. my 2 cents.